Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

bloojeans is on a distinguished road

Question hey, howdy, hi, whassup?

let me tell you about myself. i'm 27 and have been seriously trying to play guitar for about 2 years. one problem. i suck. a lot of ppl i've been talking to have suggested drumming as an alternative. i don't have to learn 3rds, 5ths, 7ths, 9ths, triads, naiads, nymphs and satyrs. those of you who have been at it a while or even those who haven't, how hard is it to coordinate your movements to successfully play? a couple of friends have seen me sitting on my porch reading tapping my feet in pretty good rhythm so maybe it's a sign that i'm meant to be a drummer. i dunno. just confused because i'm such a late starter. i'm less than 2 months from my 28th birthday, is it harder or easier?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

SanManCo128 is on a distinguished road

Re: hey, howdy, hi, whassup?

Have you thought about taking any lessons?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

philadrumphonic is on a distinguished road

Re: hey, howdy, hi, whassup?

Tapping your foot in time is a good start. And I'll tell you this, learning late can be done. I'm 25 now, but when I was 21-23, I had a drum student who came to me two days before his 49th birthday. Never played before. Just always wanted too. He was frustrated at first with the coordination exercises but he was excited to be making progress. Once he broke through that wall, after about 2 or 3 lesson, he had the time of his life. He began breathing, eating, and sleeping drums. He even kept a stick in his car so he could tap on his dashboard while he drove. In his 2 years with me, he became compitent drummer who could play along with his favorite tunes from the 60's and 70's and was even coming up with some pretty cool patterns of his own.

It's easy for some to pick up because it's primal and human nature to want to feel a beat. But, it takes a lot of work and dedication to develope technique, precision, and anything else that makes you not sound like a monkey with a stick who found a couple of empty trashcans. You're never done learning new tricks of the trade.

Taking lessons is a great way to learn, but I feel that unless you are comfortable behind a drumset and have some coordination built up, it is very intimidating. Most of my students were brand new to drumming and on occasion, their first lesson with me was the first time they'd sat behind a kit. Needless to say, they were terrified, got overwhelmed and gave up. But the ones who at least could move one foot and THEN the other instead of at the same time learned quickly and enjoyed it. Keep in mind though that in no way am I saying drumming is easier than guitar. It's just a totally different territory.

Sorry this is so lengthy. Hope it helps.