Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 08-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

phillywillis is on a distinguished road

Dunnett Snare Drums

So, I wanted to open up this thread to discuss the beauty of the Dunnett snare! Really, I just wanted to get some reviews from people who possibly own/ or have played this snare. I sat down with a Dunnett Stainless Steel snare a few months ago (I do not own one...YET!) and I could not believe the sound this drum had! It was seriously the most controlled and responsive drum I have ever heard! So tell me about your experiences.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Re: Dunnett Snare Drums

Well, I will reply to my own post it looks like... the snare is amazing! I would say it has been the best addition to my drum set yet!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

resonut is on a distinguished road

This is one drum id like to hear in person. Everything about the 13 tells me id absolutely love it. Thin shell for open full tone, stainless steel because its a bit dryer than standard steel which sounds perfect. The sharp bearing edges concern me a bit as do the deep snare beds but ive yet to hear anyone talk negative about these drums. Ive actually been doing some googeling on this very drum today. Visually the drums are real beautys.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Resonut, this definitely is a drum you need to hear in person! I don't know if you have a guitar center near you and/or if they have one in stock to play with but it would definitely be worth your time to find out. I was actually looking at the Dunnett 6.5 x 14 and a Black Beauty with the same dimensions. The Black Beauty had a great sound to it, but overall, the Dunnett just had such a distinctive sound, it was hard not to go with it. The non-rolled bearing edges had me worried a bit too, but that is one of the reasons it has such an open and pure resonance! I like to play in higher tunings, so I thought I was going to be limited to how high I could tune this thing and man I was wrong (you know, worried about cutting through the drum head). I have my batter head cranked up pretty tight and I still can go a lot higher if needed! That is another thing that impresses me about this drum is that the tuning range is amazing! You can play it gravel loose or wood tight and each tuning has something different to offer. As far as the deep snare bed, that just adds to the overall response of the drum. No matter how soft you hit it, the snare activates and I promise you will NEVER get this baby to choke on you! Every hit, no matter how fast, it will be right with you. It is an amazing drum and I honestly doubt I will ever buy another snare drum again because frankly I have it all with this drum. I hope you get a chance to hear it some day!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywillis View Post
I will ever buy another snare drum again because frankly I have it all with this drum.
I have told myself the same exact thing each time I buy another snare drum (that was 4 snares ago)!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM

hahaha! Maybe that is a little premature of me to say but I guess we will see Der, what is your current snare line-up?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

I currently have:

Early 1970s 5" x 14" Ludwig Acrolite (spun aluminum)
2004 6" x 14" Noble & Cooley Custom Alloy Classic (cast aluminum)
2006 DW 5" x 13" Collectors Maple
2005 PDP 6" x 10" 805
1987 5" x 14" Yamaha SD255 (steel)

Looking for:

1960's 6" x 14" Ludwig Supraphonic (chrome over brass)
1990's 8" x 14" Tama Power Metal (bronze)

Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM

phillywillis, thanks for the thoughts on this drum. I remember seeing one (on ebay) at Bentleys drumshop in which i came close to pushing the buy it now. If id have had a couple beers im sure id own it now. Im a fan of 13'' snare drums but they need to be at least 5'' deep or they get to auxillary for me.

Reading your response has given me the bug again and i suppose this will be on my mind now for a week!. The sound clip at indoorstorm is horrible.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Yeah, that clip definitely does not do it justice. I am glad I have given someone else the bug. I had it for a months until I finally bought it for myself!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:10 PM

I purchased a 5.5x13 phosphor bronze drum befor Mars music went under and its put my 70's black beauty in retirement believe it or not. Ive played Mapex stainless drums 14'' and dug them ALOT so i have no hesitation concerning this material. Im googeling to find a 13'' Dunnet stainless deal as well as checking ebay.