Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

bbrock3006 is on a distinguished road

Smile New Drum Riser Design Found on Line

I was looking around the net and see that there is a new drum riser design that looks really cool. Somehow it is solid but light weight. It also has some sort of lock bars that hold it together. I was reading on another web site that a solid riser will be the best to make sure the sound won't resonate (buzz). Anyway if you want to check it out it is a site called featherblock.net

I am new to this. Any opinions on the current state of drum risers, like the platforms that have steel legs?

Higher Ground

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

Lukeykookey is on a distinguished road

Re: New Drum Riser Design Found on Line

Hi, can you put a link on here to what you mean?
Copy and paste the address of the wepage.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

bbrock3006 is on a distinguished road

I was looking around, don't I have better things to do with my time. I came across this site-

Tech Tips: Feedback problems with drum riser | Sweetwater.com

"Our band recently built a drum riser to use on gigs. Now it seems like the drums feedback in the low end a lot more, especially the bass drum. What can we do?"

The drum riser is sympathetically vibrating (resonating) with the drums and/or PA system. Either way it is feeding these resonances back to the drums, causing the heads to ring a little more, which is being picked up by the mics, etc. Or it's causing the mic stands to vibrate, which is picked up by the mics. The best way to stop this action - things resonating - is to add mass, which either changes the resonant frequency or dampens it altogether, or decouple the resonant items.

You can add mass to the drum heads themselves, but this will radically change the sound of the drums. The best way to fix it is to add mass to the riser. This means using really heavy woods and/or putting extensive bracing inside of it. There is a reason why high quality speakers are usually made out of thick, heavy woods, or sophisticated composite materials - to prevent or dampen unwanted resonances. Sand bags, bricks, scrap rubber from tires are all things that can be added to a drum riser to dampen it from vibrations in addition to heavy woods. Most good risers are made of steel, with a very heavy wood top. Similar to isolating a studio space there is no getting around mass to dampen vibrations. Short of that you at least have to fill up the air space underneath so you can dampen the air movement. A band I worked with years ago had custom cases made that doubled as a riser. Once they got most of their equipment set up they filled these cases with all the extra cables, soft gig bags, and other stuff, which made a big difference.

Isolation is another method that may prove helpful. Get good shock mounts for your microphones at the very least. Isolating the drums from the riser can help a lot, but it's difficult to do. Rubber exercise mats, like what people use under treadmills, can help, but drum pedals will eventually eat them up. You can also isolate the drum riser from the rest of the stage with similar methods, but that's a bit more hit or miss in terms of results.

This "Featherblock" drum riser is solid so the sound of the drum will not resonate like a platform with a floor.

Portable Stages, Terrain Parks | Midland, MI.

Makes sense to me.

Higher Ground

Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

EphICanIMite is on a distinguished road

If most of the low end feedback is coming from your bass drum, how is the microphone for the bass drum being placed? One thing that isn't cheap is the May Internal mic mount. Either the MBM-1 standard bass drum mount or the MBM-2 bass drum mic shock mount.
I purchased a May mics Shure Beta 52 with the internal shock mount for my DW bass drum and it's an excellent product. You can buy a vent connector with it that has an XLR jack built into the vent(takes the place of the standard bass drum vent) and you set the bass drum where you want it and plug an XLR mic cable into the vent hole and you're good to go. No worries about getting differenct mic placement every time you set up because once you install it and position it, it stays put. An the mic is inside the drum(even if you don't have a vent hole in the resonant head) so less chance of feed back even at high P.A. volume levels. Check it out. Randall May International - Internal Miking Systems

EPH

Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

This is interesting. I've dealt with loading in a drum riser twice before, with CBGBs.
It sounded good, but as it says in the article, drum risers are made of steel, which
is why they are (and have to be) very heavy.
One thing that I noticed, that helps with resonance (because you're dealing with
drums that obviously have legs, going from metal to metal, that enables the resonance
to travel) is by using very thick rubber feet on the drums (which the article also mentions).
As far as mass is concerned, I think the cheapest thing to acquire for that (besides just using the rest of the band's gig bags) is to use small sandbags on the riser.
These are heavy, but they are small, and they will add a lot of resonance
compression to the riser.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

chuckster is on a distinguished road

Question Re: New Drum Riser Design Found on Line

Good Morning Drummers or To Whom It May Concern!

I have posted a section introducing myself and my son to this website concerning drum riser stage that is portable and lightweight. I about my son playing drum since the age of 3 yrs of age. Also, I mentioned my son has 2- drum set by PEARL
1- 5-piece set and 1 7-piece set. My son is part of a Gospel Quartet group(drummer) and part of church choir band(drummer)

His question was How to build a portable drum riser stage that is portable, solid rock, and inexpenstive. Does anyone on this site has answers or Have drum riser stage plans that could share with us on How to Build a Drum Riser. It has exciting to comments on the drum matter.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM

How to build a portable drum riser:

How to Build a Portable Drum Riser | eHow.com

Adding carpet would absorb most of the vibrations.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM

Cool Re: New Drum Riser Design Found on Line

Thank You Brother for the Drum Riser building instructions, Be Blessed!!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 AM

Good Morning Drummers Alike! I thank you all for the overwhelming response concerning drum riser building instructions. Please keep sending me information for me and my son. Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. YOu Drummers are the best!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
Thank You Brother for the Drum Riser building instructions, Be Blessed!!
Hokahey, and good luck on your project.

Many Blessings,
Tainojim