Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

2stix is on a distinguished road

Hello fellows drummers

Well I stumbled on this site totally by accident... wanted to stop in and say whats up! A lil background on me... I got my first set at 5 yrs old, an old sparkle blue Ludwig Rockers. Since then Ive been through several since then. The last I bought on my own when I was 16 that I still have today. So curently I own my still rockin Yamaha Stage custom. I recently as of last week purchased, a brand new Yamaha DTXtreme 3SP and I LOVE IT!!!! I was a lil hesitant at first but after months of homework on this set and the Roland TD 20S I finally committed to the Yamaha. Anyway the goal is now to teach my kids how to play and maybe I'll have another Sheila E and Tony Royster in the house.

Keep Rockin,

2stix

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello fellows drummers

I'd be interested to know how you get along teaching the kids. I have three, now aged 7, 9 and 11. They were all good drummers at age 3 and 4, then they lost interest. They like guitar now and play RockBand and the oldest digs hand drums. My wife says I should actually schedule weekly lesson time with them so that I can introduce them to the skills and maybe their interest will follow.

I couldn't stay away from drums when I was 9 and I'd practice for hours on end. But I think you're born with that drive and interest. Anyway, that's going to be my new approach. I'm going to try and schedule regular, formal time with my kids on the drums and see how that works.

I bought a nice Djembe too so we can alternate between the set and hand drum. And I got cheap acoustic and electric guitars too. Maybe I'll end up with a family band...who knows?

Good luck with your kids. There's nothing better than rocking out on acoustic drums.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Hey Slingerland,

Thanks for replying. I just read back through my original post and realized how jacked up it was but anyway my kids are 3 and 4. Right now it looks like my daughter is taking more to it than my son is and she is the youngest. My son is favoring the guitar right now so I guess we'll have to see who will play what. All of us are playing the patience game. What I would like to know is how Tony Roster's father kept him so interested. I agree with you, youalmost have to be born with the "want to play". I remember watching Phil Collin's No Jacket Tour over and over and over until I thought I had "In the Air Tonight" down but its what kept me going all these years.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Yes, I used to pound on the back of the car seat behing my parents' heads whenever we went driving somewhere and they eventually surprised me with a beautiful silver sparkle drum set one Christmas. I think it's my responsibility to make the drums available for the kids to play (I cut the legs off a chair and lowered the drums so they could reach them) and we're lucky enough to live in a house so they can make noise. We also got RockBand which has very challenging drum parts and fits in with their video-game mentality. Your kids are too young for that...but just wait!
I'm blown away by the kits that Tony Roster and the other prodigy kids on YouTube have access too. My God, could you imagine being led into a studio room at age 7 or 8 with permission to jam on a 20-piece kit? My current goal is to save money to buy a second shiny kit that my kids would drool over. The most fun I had taking lessons was at a studio where the instructor had his own set and I had mine. I'd like to be able to give my kids that same experience.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Right on...on my dream is to have my own studio once my house is built. Im pretty sure something else will be out by that time but Im eyeballing the Tama Stewart Copeland signature set...I also want to build my own DW someday. Its amazing how much you can actually spend on a set, cymbals and hardware. Damn near take out a mortgage for a dream kit.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM

play drums live better is on a distinguished road

hi, i'm new here too. i need some profeshional help to decide between YAMAHA POWER V SERIES or GRETCH CATALINA BIRTCH (both used)
thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Welcome to the site. I see you posted your question under the drum set heading. That's good; you'll get a better response there. Also try doing a search using the "Yamaha Power V" key words. You'll see that other members have them and love them (Kronus288 and aloni).