Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 12-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Chrispb7 is on a distinguished road

single stroke roll speed

whaddup guys, i think i need help with my roll speed. I listen to all these other drummers and their single stokes are insanely fast. Mines not slow but it definitely isn't very fast.

Is there a specific way to get faster? Like maybe some sort of wrist exercise?
Or is there a certain technique to it?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Pyrochazm is on a distinguished road

Re: single stroke roll speed

One word: Rudiments. Try Hal Leonard snare drum for beginners. Or any snare manual.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:57 AM

Well, I have a video lesson and it includes a ton of rudiments but i can do all that stuff the same speed they are doing in the videos. I mean i like at guys like Travis Barker, and yeah i realize he is amazingly good, but a lot of guys can do it extremely fast. Does it have to do with wrist strenght?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:03 AM

Sorry for the double post but look at this...

He gets going pretty fast and it looks like he uses some technique where he forces the stick back down with his back fingers. Is that a specific technique i can learn, i dont think they showed me that in the video lesson.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Thumpthdrum is on a distinguished road

Go to " You Tube " and key in one had drum roll. There are a number of examples on the ....how to...including ones from Johnny Rabb.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

moeller.
do you mean just fast single strokes cause that's just practice and time to develop that speed. if you mean one handed rolls...gravity blasts...whatever, that's completely different. just sorta lost what you're asking about.

http://www.youtube.com/v/t8qomDpRtCY..._embedded&fs=1

Old 12-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

In order to play fast, you need to be able to play relaxed.

Start very slowly, put the metronome on, say 60bpm and play full strokes with as little tension in your arsm, wrists and fingers as you can.

While its low there will be more wrist work involved, but as you get it faster, your fingers will be able to keep the stick finger just by 'triggering'.

The important thing to remember is to not TRY to push things too fast when you learn this. Fast rolls are nothing special but if they are uneven (in terms of timing or dynamics) then you need to slow them down until they sound right.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Thumpthdrum is on a distinguished road

As Damo said...relax, this helps be more flexible and helps you keep time. Remember...all the fancy drumming in the world is useless if your timing is off. Strange as this sounds...BREATHE.....Most of us, when doing something as simple as lifting a heavy object we tend to hold our breath, same as in drumming....again remember to breath, this will help you to relax thus helping with your ability and timing.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

The speed comes from finger control. Mind you, with a good fulcrum (grip between thumb and pointer finger at the point where the stick is balanced) and finger action (moving all remaining three fingers together to propel the stick), you get power too. And you also get the ability to play precise beats very quietly. There's no better skill you can learn IMO than finger control.

Try practicing with slow, very big, exaggerated strokes where the butt end of the stick goes forward and the tip comes toward you so the stick is parallel to the ground, then use your three last fingers and wrist motion to whip the tip onto the drum (or pillow or chair pad even). I liken it to flicking a towel at someone or throwing a knife. I keep a pretty tight fulcrum grip so the stick doesn't go flying!.

That's a power stroke if you also bend your arm to add to the swing. That's how you break sticks with a rimshot or tips on a cymbal.

The fast single stroke roll like in the video clip is the same finger action but with no arm action and very little range of wrist movement. Some guys turn their thumb up, as in the second video clip from shazaam. That is a tympani playing technique. Practice, experiment, enjoy the improvement in your playing.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

shazaam is on a distinguished road

yea, now that I think about it...when I play, the faster I go the further down my fingers I go...start "trigger fingering" with my middle then just move down the line to my pinky as i get faster lol...granted for sme reason when I do play and don't think my pinky's stick out like you think of british drinking tea or somethin lol, prolly cause my left pinky's stupid and gets in the way most of the time But yea, just search videos of different techniques...learn em, then choose one that fits you and roll with it.