Warning: Illegal string offset 'rows' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/attachments.php on line 15

Warning: Illegal string offset 'container' in [path]/geek/gars/mods/display/attachments.php on line 22
Bosphorus 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride - Cymbal Reviews
drums drum set drummer

Drums resource and community for the online drummer
  The time is now 01:16 PM GMT -4.  
Search Drum Set Connect:

Site Features
Drum Forum
Drum Lessons
Drum Reviews
Drum Kit Photos
Shop
Drum T-Shirts
Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Reviews > Cymbal Reviews

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Bosphorus 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride
From light jazz to doom rock
Published by Davenhurst
06-22-2006

A while back I discovered a brand new world - a world of beautifully crafted, hand-hammered cymbals available at affordable prices. I risked my bank balance and my marriage by continually shelling out hard-earned cash for cymbals from Turkish manufacturers Istanbul and Bosphorus.

Both these companies supply a wide range of cymbals, from tiny splashes and exotic effects up to 26" rides weighing more than the rest of your kit combined. My problem was that these cymbals are largely aimed at the jazz market. A generalisation I know, but a glance through the Bosphorus catalogue, for example, reveals a large collection of thin rides (with rivets!) and light, fast crashes. This isn't a problem, I suppose, except I'm a drummer who likes to hit the kit HARD from time to time. So my quest was to find a crash cymbal that would respond well at low volumes and also provide an earth-shuddering tidal roar when smacked to within an inch of its life.

So why not turn to "The Big 3"? Why not just find a rock crash and be done with it? Well - it's true that "The Big 3" make some fine, fine cymbals suited to many styles of playing, but for me - it's like there's no turning back. I fell in love with these cymbals the moment I heard them, and it became a challenge.

To cut an already long story short, I came across the Bosphorus 18" Antique Series Jazz Crash/Ride. This made sense - a ride cymbal which was designed to be crashed. I could finally go nuts!

First impressions count, and the first time I connected a stick with this cymbal was a joy - there was that trademark hissing, high-end attack which backed off in good time to reveal a slow but subtle decay. Signs of a hand-hammered cymbal. Bosphorus cymbals are hand-made from start to finish, and boy can you tell. The Antique series shows off the "striped" effect you'll see in the accompanying thumbnails, meaning simply that parts of the cymbal are lathed, and other parts are not. This allows the differences in finishing technique to combine and create a cymbal of true, individual character.

At low volumes you can still hear the spread in the response of this cymbal, the wash stays there just long enough to make its point and the bell (unlathed) cuts through clearly. The only let-down I've noticed comes at high volumes, it just misses the mark with the attack - not creating quite enough high-end roar to carry the character through walls of screeching guitar feedback. Saying that, the wash and decay are dazzling. Using this cymbal as a punctuation between loud and soft produces great results, and for accents it could hardly be better.

As a ride cymbal I find the response just too weak, but then we are only dealing with 18 inches of metal. I've been using a 20" Zildjian K ride alongside this Bosphorus, and the two hang together like old friends.

If you're really interested in picking up some complex sounding cymbals, I strongly recommend checking out the Bosphorus range. The 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride is just one of many, each has its own unique character. Once you start getting acquainted with a Bosphorus cymbal, you'll realise there's a lot more under the surface than expected. I was (fairly) lucky with my choice, but I can't help feeling that the quest continues.

http://www.bosphoruscymbals.com

Shop for cymbals at Musician's Friend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bosantique.jpg (17.3 KB, 6 views)

By AvengedDrummer on 06-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Ah, OK. You persuaded me! My birthday is coming up...im getting some BOSPHORUS!
By Remotecontact on 08-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Member reviews
Features
10%10%10%
Quality
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
Overall
10%10%10%
Average 10%
Re: Bosphorus 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride

Remember, just because a cymbal is bosphorus or connie or istanbul or sabian HH doesn't automatically make it a great sounding cymbal. Even identically sized and weighted and branded cymbals can have MASSIVE tonal differences. That is the trade off to hand hammered cymbals, each is unique and has its own voice. That voice could be smooth and beautiful or plain ol filthy sounding.

Using an 18" bos crash/ride as a pure crash in a metal band, the fine velvety (expensive) mattress of sound demanded by the ride is lost behind the amplified guitars. So please if your going to do that, put your ego on hold and just donate it to your local high school jazz combo and buy yourself some ZBTs, they'll sound better for your purposes.
By zwill54 on 02-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Member reviews
Features
10%10%10%
Quality
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
Overall
10%10%10%
Average 10%
Smile Re: Bosphorus 18" Antique Jazz Crash/Ride

I notice most High end cymbals are capable of double duty. My Sabian HHX 22" Manhattan ride and HHX 21" Groove ride will crash well. What I'm begainning to
find out is if stay with one make, any brand, but stay within that series line you
will be better off and you won't need as many cymbals. The real good stuff is
costly and THEY ALL SOUND GREAT !!!!!!! KEEP ROCKIN MAN
Comment

Review Tools