Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

I Buy Peace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to I Buy Peace

Cool Hello! (From Canada!)

Hey people. I'm new here, but I love music. I was born in Canada and still living here, so I don't know how far away I am from most others on here...

I'm 15, but love to play music and practice daily. Right now I'm trying to lock down some linear grooves, and keeping my double bass endurance up.

Weeeelll... Actually it's 9:30 in the morning, and I'm off to my buddies house to play. Looking forwards to your posts, and staying at what looks like a helpful community.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello! (From Canada!)

Welcome to the forum Peace! It's small compared to other drum forums, but I like it that way. You can actually navigate most of the posts at one sitting, keep up with new developments and become familiar with active members. It used to be a bigger forum so there's lots of archived material to search if you want.

There are a few other Canucks here. But I think it's amazing to communicate with drummers from around the world.

By the way, I'm just down the highway from you...in Brampton! Rock on!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:30 PM

Sick! I drove through Brampton yesterday actually. I go there alot for hockey (I play rep for Orangeville, travel time baby!)

What do you usually play for music genre? Are you in a band? There's some local shows in Orangeville and surrounding area I may have seen you at if you attend those kinda things.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 AM

No, I'm not in any bands at the moment. I'm a lawyer with three kids. I'm probably older than your dad (50 in April)! The last time I gigged regularly was in in the 80s. I do jam once in a while with some guitarist dads in Brampton but it's hard for us to coordinate a time. I envy you if you get in a lot of jam time.

I built my kit bigger with a second bass drum. My focus now is on building up double bass skills so when I eventually play (maybe start my own band?), I'll be ready for the rock gigs. My experience is with country rock and top 40 (from the 70s and 80s LOL) but my favourite music is progressive rock. I feel like I need to catch up on the harder rock from the 90s forward because I wasn't playing drums then.

When you refer to linear grooves, do you mean David Garibaldi type stuff (Tower of Power) with broken hand patterns intertwined with foot patterns? Do you play double bass with heels up or down? Do you have a teacher?

I've gone to a few clinics organized by Drummers' Choice and I liked Jeff Salem's free hand drumming clinics but I think they've stopped now. I haven't been to clubs in a long time! You're too young to go to clubs! What local shows do you mean?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Haha, I have ALOT of time to jam. Sucks to hear some people can't jam as much as they would like. My neighbour is a professional musician, with his own band/recording studio. I can go over at anytime and jam with him. Plus, his band's singer's KID jams with me whenever he's in town. He likes more heavy stuff, as do I. (Lamb of god, Megadeth, Suicide silence, Pantera, Cannibal corpse, ect)

Yeah, I'm talking about David Garibaldi type of linear grooves. I can play it, I'm just having trouble getting it too feel and groove, y'know?

When I mean local shows I'm talking about in Churches, music stores, stuff like that. I can find you some myspace bands that travel to Alliston, Shelburne, Erin, and play here from time to time if you'd like.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Cheers. I'd appreciate that info about bands that play in the area.

And living next door to a recording studio...ah!!!...full envy from me, brother. Is your neighbour a bass player? I've found that you can't beat jam sessions with bass and drums alone to help develop feel. Good bass players have it. We need to learn it from them.