Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

lrider25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lrider25

Smile Ddrums vs Mapex

Does anyone know the quality of ddrums. I was looking and they have good prices for a Bubinga set. I also looked at the Mapex set and it looks pretty good for the price.

I was looking at the Mapex Saturn Pop 22 (Maple) vs. the Ddrum Dios (Bubinga). I am looking at these kits for R&B.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

kickassdrummer is on a distinguished road

Re: Ddrums vs Mapex

Unfortunately, ddrum has severe quality control issues on their lower and mid-range kits. If you've narrowed your choice down to ddrum vs. Mapex, I would definitely take the Mapex. Saturns are excellent kits for the money.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Smile Re: Ddrums vs Mapex

That is what, I have been hearing. I think that I might go with the mapex saturn.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

I second the Mapex kits.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

don11817 is on a distinguished road

yeah the ddrums have a huge consistency problem with their mid to lower end kits. I've heard of people getting lucky and getting a nice kit, and bubinga is gorgeous, but I have heard far more stories about people getting finishes that are cloudy, murky and mismatched in color. I've also heard of some bearing edge issues where the edges weren't filed or were damaged during production causing some tuning issues...

The Mapex Saturns are truly magnificent drums in their price range. I am not sure if there are many other brands that are producing a comparable product in that price range...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM

I like the Mapex Saturn because all of the toms and bass have the Exclusive Isolated Tom Mounting System on all toms. I think I am going to buy this set.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Doesn anyone know the sound quality on the mapex drums???

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

marko46 is on a distinguished road

I own a set of Saturns. They absolutley have the best tone of any drums I've owned or played, name them. The shels are 4 outer plys of Maple, and two inner plys of walnut, Also they are loud. We've had issues micing them when I first got them because of how loud they are, the overtones and sustain. I use clear Amb's on the batter's and clear Emp's on the reso's. EC2's deadened them to much IMO. If I have an unwanted ring, I stick a moongel tight against the rim.
I did have to go to extremes with muffeling the kic's as I'm not triggering right now. All of you are gonna think I'm crazy and full of sh*t, but this works. My kicks have a very low "Whauom", (is that a word?) that hangs there. They're 24"x20", so they're pretty big drums. I use an Aquarian vented kickpad and an EMAD batter. A good buddy of mine convinced me to try this, since I've been batteling that incesent "Whauom" for a couple months.
I took the batter completely off, and layed a 3 1/2'x3 1/2' bed sheet over the drum, replaced the head and rim and finger tightened all the bolts. I them pulled the sheet tight against the head and tightened the rim down a couple turns each lug and trimmed the exposed sheet off, being careful of the finish. Then I tuned it where I wanted it at.
I flipped the drum and removed the reso. I placed two felt strips across the drum and repeated the process for the batter. One felt is about a fifth away down from the top, the other is just below dead center on the head. Tuned it just to where it has a recognizable tone/note.
I set it up and mic'd it with a D6, and it was "BOOM" with no overtone "Whaom" and killer attack. Depending on the room/venue I'll use just a straight up SM52. I get the best response pointing either mic up facing the top of the batter rim. One other trick is to position a SM57 just behind and to the side of where my beater is stricking the head. I use a desk stand to mount it.
Sorry to be so long winded, but you will love the Saturns if you buy them. Each drum, as always has a "sweet spot". I played with tuning mine when I got them for two days till I found Nirvana.
Later,
marko

Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Sweet thanks. I am currently looking at where to buy this kit. I live in Michigan and they don't have it at Guitar Center.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

marko46 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrider25 View Post
Sweet thanks. I am currently looking at where to buy this kit. I live in Michigan and they don't have it at Guitar Center.
Go here:
Home

That's where I bought mine. George Lawerence, drummer for POCO owns the place. Good guy. Jack is the manager there, and he's a good dude also. Check out their line and email them or call 'em. Tell them Mark Ogle sent ya and they'll work with you. They shipped mine right to my house in Cambridge Ohio from China. I will tell you that if you place a "special" order, it takes a long ass time to get it from China. I ordered a 13"x11" MT, and it took damn near 4 months to finally get it. That's the one thing about Mapex, odd ball orders take a seriously long time to get. If you order a straight up kit, you'll have it in like 2-3 weeks. They may still have some 2007 kits left, which are 50% off. Deffinitly ask. If you need any suggestions or have a question, PM me.
Good luck,
Mark