Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

aeroc63 is on a distinguished road

Angry Mapex Pro-m Discontinued!

New to this forum, so please redirect me if this topic is being discussed in another thread. I understand that product lines change, but the pro-m series are marketed as high quality, but affordable, mid-level, student/semi-pro drums. Mapex has offered free snares and new finishes to get people to invest in these drums, and now we have to scramble to find single components to finish any planned expansions. Mapex gave notice that they were discontinuing snare incentives, but very little notice on the discontinuation of the pro-m series, and I don't appreciate that. As a poor student, I can't run out and buy a kick and floor tom on short notice. I get the feeling I'm not alone. I really want to hear from pro-m players, how do you feel about this short notice discontinuation, and does anyone know of good sources for pro-m single drums?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Mapex Pro-m Discontinued!

If you email a friend of mine who owns his own drum shop, he maybe able to help you. This guy goes to the NAMM ( Biggest Drum event's ever) every year and knows all about drums, from vintage drums to the latest and has a really huge drum shop. Check him out at his website George's drum shop.com. , I'm pretty sure he'll have the answers for you. This guy even has a drum rebuilding section area at his store. He also travels to drumming events across the country. If he can't find it, it doesn't exist when it comes to drums. No harm in trying out the site.

Last edited by Tainojim; 02-06-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the tip, but from the website it appears that this shop has a very poor selection or a very incomplete website. No component drums listed.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM

I just went to georgesdrumshop.com and Mapex is on the list. Give George a phone call. If he ain't got it. He will direct you on what you need.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

You will still be able to buy add-on drums in the M and Pro-M for some time yet.

Unfortunately, your needs as a student arent going to sway a company which is in a war to get new products out to compete with everyone else whos doing it.

Lines get deleted all the time, and the M's and Pro-M's have had a good run.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 PM

hey tainojim, I'll give them a call. I get the feeling from the photos that they may actually have too much to list on a web site, so I'll see what they have to say. thanks again

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM

I just did a search for the "mapex pro-m floor tom" in those exact words, on google.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 PM

I was just ending you a post as you were at the same time. Now that is funny

Last edited by Tainojim; 02-06-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM

hey damo, I feel I'm being fair when I say the the notice was fairly short, particularlly if you look at the mapex site content. I've got no problem with new lines, but for the mid-level consumer, product line stability is fairly crucial. Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually, in their present form, the current pro-ms have been around less than a decade. When they made them all maple, that was why I decided to purchase them. This certainly isn't personal between you and I, but if a company is going to market to a student (lower income consumer) buyer, the needs of that market segment should indeed hold sway in their product offering, loyalty is a two way street. Any input on locating single components in a specific finish would be great. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

Agreed, but you may notice that lines such as Zildjian Pitch Blacks have also been discontinued, and theyve barely seen 6 months.

I guess the bottom line is that in the true nature of consumerism, these companies would want you to be upgrading gear, and that right there is your incentive.

I personally dont see that Mapex has done anything unfair here, and they certainly havent targetted the lower-mid spender. I had a similar issue with my Sonor Designer kit. At the time I bought it, it was a current line, but after no longer than perhaps two months, it was announced that Designer was ending and that SQ2 was taking its place. Even though I didnt see this coming, the Designer Series had been around since 1993, so I guess I should have expected that it was coming to a close.
Luckily for me, I bought everything I wanted up front, and so had little need to add on later. Sonors warranties were all still valid, and they still allowed me another 2 years to add components after it was discontinued.

Their reason for not mentioning anything would be the same as Mapex's - With an impending NAMM show, it was important to keep all their aces up theire sleeve until the show.

These sorts of tactics go on in the drum scene ALL the time, by all companies. There are more than enough avenues to get parts even after a manufacturer announces the deletion of that particular line - Youll be fine. In fact, youll probably be in better stead to find a bargain on the gear.