Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

geneadams is on a distinguished road

newbie to drumming

I,ve just purchased a 5 piece set from Ebay (Gammon).Have to watch the wallet I am new to playing the drums, but have always had an interest in playing. Hopefully i can obtain a lot of info from this site and with practice that will help me get better.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Re: newbie to drumming

Glad to have you here geneadams! We have a great group of drummers here so don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have as you start to learn.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Hey!
It's good to have another member!
Feel free to ask any questions and read through the rules.
Its good to see that ur confident in finding good info. on this site.
Cause u will.
Peace, I.E.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

slingerland is on a distinguished road

geneadams Hi I'm SLINGERLAND if you need any help just ask, everyone here helps everyone else.I teach drums I've been playing over 40 years so if you ask a question and I see it I'll try to help you out. Right now I'm helping a new drummer out with what book and pad to get and how to study.If you need help just ask. GOOD LUCK SLINGERLAND

Old 03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

geneadams is on a distinguished road

Thanks Slingerland I do have two questions you may can help me with. (1) As a beginner what size sticks should i use. I am not into heavy metal, but rock, jazz, etc. (2) What is the best wood for the shells.

THanks again for the welcome

Old 03-15-2009, 05:24 PM

geneadams As far as sticks go Try Regal Tip Jazz I am using them for 42 years they are an excellent stick and the ones I USE Have Nylon Tips and you should get a slightly lighter and heavier pair the next ones would be Regal tip Rock and Regal Tip 5A I use Nylon Tips I don't know if they make these models without Nylon Tips. As far as what is the best wood for shells that can be answered many ways some say Maple some say Birch some say Beechwood it also depends on how much you can afford to spend when your a beginner and you have a set already that doesn't matter what matters is learning to play I still have my first set of drums and it wasn't anything special and I used them to play at night clubs, weddings private parties, benefits and all types of Gigs put new heads on and they'll sound even better than you think. Slingerland

Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

don11817 is on a distinguished road

I learned from a old-school jazz/big band drummer and he played size 7A sticks--very light and fast with lots of rebound so it makes some of the playing easy... He also recommended getting a set of heavier sticks by 2-3 sizes for practicing rudiments etc. and building hand strength and coordination. After you switch back to the smaller sticks they feel even easier to use.

Because of my hand size, (big hands here) I use a bigger stick that fits my grasp better. I go back and forth between 5A and 5B sticks-- I like the 5A with rubber dip on them but if I am only using wood I go 5B. I ALWAYS use nylon tips--they get much better sound out of cymbals and they have a higher resistance to chipping at the tip which could damage the drum heads.

As for shell material, it comes down to a matter of personal taste as to how you want to sound. Some types of music are better played with Birch shells because the cut through the mix better with a brighter tone (rock, metal, fusion etc.). Sometimes Maple is better because it has a inherently warmer tone and shorter sustain.

Here's a site that explains all the dynamics of drum shell types, bearing edges, head selection, tuning, etc. Great resource!
Drum Tuning Bible

Enjoy!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM

geneadams The Regal Tip Jazz are 7A and a little Heavier are the Regal Tip Rock and a little Lighter are the Regal tip 5A. Start with the ones that suit you and switch around that's what I did and you will take to one set of sticks over the others.These sticks alot of Jazz Drummers Use the are not unbreakable they will break, I play alot of Jazz and they hold up okay for me, but if your going to put some heavy duty play on them you might think of Different Types of Sticks that's where I have to say I can't help. But these sticks are EXCELLENT no matter what you hear
SLINGERLAND