Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

engineer is on a distinguished road

buying drum set

I have a 11 year old daughter that is taking drum lessons. She has electronic drum set and now would like percussion drum set. I would like to know what if any should I buy. She seems very interested in learning. I am musically stipid.

She has been taking lessons for 6 months from a guy who plays in a couple of bands. He says she is younger than the average student but is much better at this stage than other students would be. I know instructors like to give glowing reports. I do not want to waste money buying junk or over buying. I know stores try to sell what they have and over sell. I have no musical ability so I am searching for help.

Last edited by engineer; 03-21-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

bigstix is on a distinguished road

Re: buying drum set

Greetings and welcome to the forum. You and your daughter will be able to obtain lots of info here. But it's also about having some fun! There are many options for you to consider regarding the purchase of a drum kit. Your budget will ultimately determine the model kit you end up with. I know that here in Australia there are new entry level kits available for around AUD$300. Whilst the quality of these instruments isn't brilliant, they can provide a stepping stone to better gear, without a massive cash outlay. Then again, at what level is your daughter? How long has she been playing? Is she likely to continue further in her drum studies? Depending on these factors, it may be prudent to invest in a better quality kit. I have seen GOOD quality kits, on Ebay, for AUD $1,000-1,500. These kits will offer a better return when/if sold in the future. I'm sure there will be a lot of advice posted by other members of the forum. Cheers.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: buying drum set

First of all to help you, we need to know a little more of the drumming aspects of you child's experience with drums.
What kind of music, drumming style and how much experience, like has she any lessons within this field.

Or you can take her to a music store to look around and play some drum kits.
Depending on what she likes and compared to your budget, the two of you can come to an agreement.

Some sets can cost from a few hundred bucks to a couple of thousands, but don't let that deter you from letting you child getting into the music.

Welcome to the forum.
I wish you both all the best.

Closed Thread