Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drum Contests

Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Recognition

How about having some drummers display their talents and judge them on their creativity, agility, speed and style?
Sounds like all winners to be recognized for their efforts.

What do you drummers think from around the world.

I personally think that it would be a great display for the forum to do this but not as a contest by drummers calling out each other. There is no professionalism in that.

Starting with beginners and working it up to the pros.

Sort of a drum club instead of a battle. After all most drum battles are judged by different styles instead of talent, and creativity, as I saw in the last one. In fact it discouraged allot of drummers to vote.

Less criticism, if you get my meaning.

There are different levels, styles, and types of drummers out there. But every thing that is posted within the forum, affects the forum.

Drumming is not just banging on the drum kits, there's also different types of drums and I haven't seen anyone as of yet playing Conga drums, Hand drums, etc...

Is the forum for drummers with kits only?
I don't think so.
There are places all over the world that play all different types of drums and they should come in and join this great drummers connection forum not matter what type of drums they play.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

oldschool is on a distinguished road

Re: Recognition

I like your way of thinking,as a matter of fact i have a pair of LP bongo's on a stand setup with my kit at home,you should hear that sound when i slap those puppies with my sticks,it strongly resembles the sound of roto toms but without the twist and they're durable as hell for being a soft handed spankers instrument,i love'em and you would too ! Thank's for bringing the topic up,now i don't feel so jekyl and hyde about abusing them.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great idea and one that requires no help from the admin either. Knock yourselves out. Just post up a video in the "solo video" section and open a poll rating the different aspects and see how you go.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Meddy is on a distinguished road

Good idea! I just need a decent way to record sound... (need a new longer mini jack to mini jack cable which will reach my electric kit to my computer lol).

Also about the congo's etc... at the church I drum at theres 2 drummers, so we swap songs. While the other person uses the kit, the other drummer plays percussion on a Djembe the minister owns. (Nice one - real animal skin :O). Yeah and I've played in african drumming groups before at various music centres... had quite a lot of experiance with hand drums! But you cant really do a particularly spectacular solo on a djembe... not long ones like you can on a drum set... only really skilled percussionists can I would've thought, especially native african's who use these drums all the time.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddy View Post
Good idea! I just need a decent way to record sound... (need a new longer mini jack to mini jack cable which will reach my electric kit to my computer lol).

Also about the congo's etc... at the church I drum at theres 2 drummers, so we swap songs. While the other person uses the kit, the other drummer plays percussion on a Djembe the minister owns. (Nice one - real animal skin :O). Yeah and I've played in african drumming groups before at various music centres... had quite a lot of experiance with hand drums! But you cant really do a particularly spectacular solo on a djembe... not long ones like you can on a drum set... only really skilled percussionists can I would've thought, especially native african's who use these drums all the time.
Check out Ray Barreto on YouTube, a fantastic musician on the congas. Old one but a great one. They called him el hombre con las manos dura (The Man with hard hands). This is Afro/Cuban stuff.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 AM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of judging positively and without criticism. TainoJim, I get creativity and speed, but could you explain agility and style?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Agility grows with the amount of demand playing from a long duration. One great example is the long version of The Experience playing Voo-Doo Chile (The Long Version). Which is more of a jam session.

Style of drumming being able to mix rock & jazz, for example, with different tempo and still keep the timing in place. Latin Jazz is a great example of this style. "Larry Harlow" for example. He was know as El Judio Maravilloso (The Marvelous Jew from Puerto Rico.

All this goes back from the "King Biscuit Flower Hour" to Louie Bellson and Jim Chapin. It's like Gen Krupa combined with Mitch Mitchell. One could do long solo's but the other one played better jazz. I almost forgot about Charlie Parker who orchestrated lost of the old swing and jazz bands.

Breaking all the rules of drumming to get it done and get it done so it sounds right. Not just playing combination's of rudiments.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Thats a great Idea Tainojim! I always wanted to record myself playing Hells Kitchen by ream Theater but never had time. I think its time DSC showed it's teeth. should we make a specific thread for this?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM

I tried back in March 2009. Maybe we could work on this project on spare time.

Creativity, Speed, Agility & Style. I'm sure you got that one.

DSC show it's teeth, skinslapper "Sounds like a great idea and one that requires no help from the admin either."
No support from this MOD.

Send me a PM and then we'll put a stamp on it for posting a new thread.

Later my friend.

P.S.
I got some ideas from observing "THE MOELLER KILLER". Have you checked out his vids yet?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

I saw the date on the post, and It would be cool to bring it back up again.
Yeah, in our spare time.