Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

View Poll Results: Does RockBand help drumming?
Yes 14 45.16%
No 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

cartoonfox is on a distinguished road

Re: Does Rock Band help drumming?

I voted yes (although I play Guitar Hero) because it rekindled my love of drums, after a 6 year hiatus!
Now I'm saving up for a new kit, so it will have helped my drumming!

Not sure about actual technique. A lot of the time you can be slightly off beet and it forgives you. In that sense it can give you false sense of achievement, and could cause bad habits to start.
But for some fun and a quick practice, it's not too bad.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Good observation Tainojim!
Your right and it makes complete sence.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Level 13 - Thirteen Stroke Roll

slingerland59 is on a distinguished road

I agree with cartoonfox. RockBand has gotten my kids interested in music when all of my prodding and encouragement had little effect. It also got me playing with them more which a parent needs to do!

It's not going to give them the technique but I can do that. It's given them something more important -- the love of cool tunes and the knowledge that they can play music if they want to. It has taken away some of the mystery/fear(?) of playing an instrument.

I'm excited because my daughter actually wants to take singing lessons thanks to RockBand. I know that's off-topic, but a proud Dad needs to express himself!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Drumming makes the world go round. Even without the band, some good timing with the right beats make people want to dance or just jig a bit.

Any type of music should be within the educational system in every school. Especially percussion and Rock and Roll is a great example.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Tainojim,
We're talking about the video game "RockBand" that includes a drum module -- a set of pads that you hit with sticks and a bass pedal. You jam along with some classic and alternative rock tunes, while following an interesting colour-coded notation system that scrolls across your tv screen to tell you which pad to hit and when.

I'm guessing you haven't played it because your kids are all grown up. But I'd be interested in your opinion. I said I liked it a few months ago on another forum and got trashed. Some "old-timers" (d**k wads I'd say) seemed to think "fake" drumming in video games was like the devil incarnate. They implied there was something evil and destructive about RockBand and that you're an a**hole if you think otherwise.

The discussion here is lighter and more sensible. I agree with Don that you have to play real drums to learn to become a real drummer. But I think there's a place for video game drumming too. What do you think partner?

Old 04-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

marko46 is on a distinguished road

I vote no. Developing hand - eye coordination, maybe. But it's a game- period. It' is not a training tool. It's for fantasy freaks. I've not talked with one GOOD drummer, that's not a gamer that is good at Rock Band. It plays against what we're trained to do in the first place.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

drumt3ch09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to drumt3ch09

This is kind of interesting, I hate the pad set up for rockband. I play left handed so I set it up that way but it still sucks.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko46 View Post
I vote no. Developing hand - eye coordination, maybe. But it's a game- period. It' is not a training tool. It's for fantasy freaks. I've not talked with one GOOD drummer, that's not a gamer that is good at Rock Band. It plays against what we're trained to do in the first place.
I'm glad to hear others suck at it...I do too. But what do you mean that it plays against what we're trained to do? I think of it as a moving drum chart that's being created as you play. It's not using the usual notation system and you can't scan ahead like you can with a written chart to prepare for fills, but you can practice till you know the chart.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

ZombieFiend 616 is on a distinguished road

I have always wanted to play the drums but never have due to the fear of lookin like a complete dick. Rockband give me more confidence to play the drums. So yes it has helped me.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

bubbaandy89 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I see what you mean Zombie. Lots of people are afraid to get out there and play because they feel like they will be either sub-par or fear that they may "show off". On Friday I will be playing in a show in front of an audience for the first time and I'm actually a tad concerned myself. Honestly drumming is a confidence instrumentation. Believe it or not, I sort of consider drumming a form of sport because it requires a lot of physical activity (depending on your style of music and playing).

Closed Thread