Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

View Poll Results: Does RockBand help drumming?
Yes 14 45.16%
No 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

TheNextRingoStarr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNextRingoStarr

Re: Does Rock Band help drumming?

ya I learned how to play dani california from playing rockband

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

alexk212 is on a distinguished road

I voted yes, with personal experience. Okay, to start off, Rock Band doesn't necessarily teach you to be a real drummer, maybe if you use some form of Alesis or Roland electric kit to play... but on an acoustic you actually have to play the real thing for a while to get good at it. But what I will say is that the one song that actually improved my ability to roll, and roll with a decent technique (thanks to youtube) even if it was an out of place snare roll when it should be a high-hat roll, was Everlong on RB2... Believe it or not I use to practice that song on expert at least an hour a day for a month... seemed damn near impossible for the longest time. Eventually got good and learned how to do a break roll very well. So everyone flaming Rock Band as not helping people learn how to drums for real AT ALL is wrong. Rock Band 2 also includes a beat and a fill trainer with adjustable BPMs, this really did help me be an all around better drummer, even though nothing compares to the feel of a real cymbal set, you can improvise, which I did. I got into a REAL band.. nothing special really but okay for a local. And it was all thanks to the love I grew for rhythm while playing this game. It's a wonderful tool to learn how to play drums for real if taken seriously and you do some googling for the proper techniques. I tried out for my band by playing Learn to Fly on an acoustic set, provided by my band, I had no idea how to read drum charts and I told them that, but I played it pretty damn near perfectly even though I was a little to rough with the snare and crash cymbal... our guitarist taught me to read charts and now I'm an okay drummer. But this flaming should stop IMO

Old 04-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Thanx alexk.
Most people that play rock band begin playing the real instrument.
But again, i think it can help you learn songs and help you with coordination.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

OK here it is in plain English: I will use the word YOU as in Generalize to all drummers.

To be a Rock drummer: you need to know improvisations. If you can't improvise you can't drum.

Rudiments, "as Mr. Der has quoted" is the basis of drumming. Whether you know all 40 rudiments or just the 17 basics, still does not make you a drummer. You still need to put that puzzle together to get the picture. In our case MUSIC is the end result.

To be an Orchestral Drummer: You need to know how to read music tabulators. And the composer tells you what he wants and were. He's the director.

Playing the drums and Playing with the drums are two completely different animals. I do the later.

I don't like it when drummers knock each other because their abilities differ from one another. That sort of crap just gets them into a pissing contest against the wind.

I know all 40 rudiments and don't use 1/4 of them because they all don't fit when play Rock, Jazz, Orchestral, or for that matter freestyle.

So stick with what you've got and do your best to improvise. Have fun doing what you enjoy the most and brush up on agility and speed when you need it the most.

Happy Drumming.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

chezm is on a distinguished road

the game will teach you hand/eye coordination...but thats about it. The simple fact that the game PADS don't react or feel like an acoustic set it apart. It's still a fun game that anyone can pick up and play, which is the reason why its a great party game.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Yeah,
thats why I said it was helpful.
The coordination.
I play RockBand at these game nights at my school called Activity Nights where only
students go for some fun. They think I'm god on Rock Band. I think it's funny.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

masterofpuppets is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to masterofpuppets

yer rockband will help. personal im **** at rock band i like guitar hero the drums are better on it and its got way better songs and guitar hero metallica relesed in britain soon XD

Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

cdr116 is on a distinguished road

Rock band just gives me bad habits because the beats don't always match up with the real song, especially on lower difficulties.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

drumstick is on a distinguished road

I totally vote no.....by that theory I can play guitar from playing Guitar Hero....LOL.....its not the same...the feel of the kit.....you be soft.....gamer joke...lol....

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

To all you guys that like to criticize, I hope you can do better.

If it wasn't for Rock, there would be no affordable drums today or even back in the days.

Rock and Roll is here to stay. Some of you remind me of back in the 50's when evangelism stated that rock and roll was the devil's heart beat.

But there was a drum set on the church stage playing repeated beats to the hymns. As a kid I remember the beat was more of a Louisiana sound than anything else. Soulful yet Jiggy making all the members dance in the aisle.

The origination of rock might have been started in a church. That's how Elvis started and so did allot of rock singers, even today.

So Rock On Drummers and go to church.

Closed Thread