Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

The history of Sonor drums

Figured I would start to add more as I read about them.

Quote:
Sonor (Pronounced: suh-NOOR) is a German percussion manufacturer. Founded 1875 as a percussion manufacturer, Sonor drum sets and hardware are both revered and notorious for being constructed in a very durable, painstaking, and therefore, unusually heavy manner (older models). One of the oldest existing models of drums manufactured by Sonor is a 1942 Johannes Link Parade Snare, a very heavy snare drum with an aluminum shell and thick tension rods. Sonor drums have a reputation for being very expensive but are the weapon of choice for many studios and professional musicians. In the 1980s Sonor's tagline was "The Rolls of drums". This was an allusion to the perfectionist (and expensive) way they constructed their drum shells. They made very thick (13mm) and heavy shells that were Beech wood, with an innermost and outermost ply of furniture-grade veneers, such as Rosewood and Bubinga. Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden was one of the most prominent Sonor artists of the 80's, along with Steve Smith of Journey and jazzman Jack DeJohnette.
Sonor is the inventor of the modern screw thread drum-construction that laid the foundation for today´s modern drum set, and the inventor of the metal snare drum. Both invented in the early 20th century . William F. Ludwig got this idea in his early years back in Germany from Sonor and began to use it later in Chicago
Sonor was also the first manufacturer that produced seam-less metal and bronze shells (Signature Series in the 80s)
As the 1980s progressed, the market began to stray away from thick heavy shells and Sonor started slimming down its shells with a line called "Sonorlite" and "Hilite". This marked a shift in philosophy that dictated that a drum shell should resonate like a violin or guitar body. The thinner the shell, the lower the fundamental tone.
Sonor drums have several unique design features, including under-sized shells (a similar concept to a violin bridge - designed to enhance response), a unique vertical/stave drumshell design, and tension rods which are round and feature a slot instead of the traditional square style (though recently Sonor made square heads standard, with slotted heads available as an option). Recently, Sonor re-introduced the designer X-Ray Acrylic drums, marking the first time in 20 years Sonor offered acrylic drums. These shells are made from seamless, extruded acrylic and feature acrylic hoops.
Sonor's exotic finishes and tonal quality are still coveted by amateurs and professionals alike. Used Sonor drums are collectors items.
Current Sonor artists include Danny Carey of Tool, Thomas Lang Austrian-born drum clinician; Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree; Paul Bostaph, former drummer for Slayer, Exodus, and Forbidden;,long-time AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd; Ken Serio a New York session and touring drummer, Adam Nussbaum , great jazz drummer ,Jazz legend Jack DeJohnette,Steve Smith,Joe Winters of The Steepwater Band ; Jojo Mayer, New York City session drummer, clinician, and drummer for drum-and-bass project NERVE; Rob Rivera of Nonpoint; ; Sam Segurado of Tails; James Knox of The Business and many more.
The Sonor drum lines:
Force 3000 Series (Initially Made in Germany until 3001 series introduced. Production was then moved to China): At inception, the Force 3000 series was developed and marketed as an upper-midline level, bringing Sonor build quality and tone capabilities to a more mainstream market. Features were Scandinavian birch shells with options of quality lacquer finishes. When production moved to the Far East, it fell into the "budget" lines.
force 505: sonor's other starter kit, available in U.S.A. not on website
Force 507: The Sonor's least expensive line, aimed at beginners. It has 9-ply basswood shells and lower-grade hardware than the rest of the Force series.
"Force 2000'": Multi-ply Poplar shells. The Force 2000 (early 1990s) Series is made in Germany
Force 1007: 9-ply basswood shells.
Force 2007: 9-ply birchwood shells.
Force 3007: The top of Sonor's budget lines, with 9-ply maple shells
German-made Professional lines:
S Classix: made of thin Scandinavian birchwood shells, this line offers both vintage and veneer finishes.
Delite: made of extremely thin vintage maple shells, this line offers veneer and fade finishes.
SQ2: Sonor's top line of drums, this line is custom made according to the customer's specifications, including shell material, shell thickness, lug color and type, hoop color and type, and inside and outside finishes.
Sonor also makes African, Latin, Marching, and other percussion equipment.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Level 7 - Five Stroke Roll

Damo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Damo Send a message via MSN to Damo

Re: The history of Sonor drums

Quote:
Current Sonor artists include Danny Carey of Tool, Thomas Lang Austrian-born drum clinician; Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree; Paul Bostaph, former drummer for Slayer, Exodus, and Forbidden;,long-time AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd; Ken Serio a New York session and touring drummer, Adam Nussbaum , great jazz drummer ,Jazz legend Jack DeJohnette,Steve Smith,Joe Winters of The Steepwater Band ; Jojo Mayer, New York City session drummer, clinician, and drummer for drum-and-bass project NERVE; Rob Rivera of Nonpoint; ; Sam Segurado of Tails; James Knox of The Business and many more.
...And Me!

You cant go past Sonor for quality. Best kits Ive ever owned. I have a custom made Designer series and a Force 3007.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

No derek Roddy? No pronunciation of DW? Oh, and Engineer's drummer has a sonor kit too (Not endorced though...)!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

don11817 is on a distinguished road

Let's add Nikko McBrain of Iron Maiden to that list as well...

Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM

^ Not anymore though - He's been Premier for some time.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:37 AM

Oh no... Alas poor Nikko, shouldn't you step UP in endorsement rather than down? lol... Dang that stinks... I guarantee the recordings on the Sonors sound better...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by don11817 View Post
Oh no... Alas poor Nikko, shouldn't you step UP in endorsement rather than down? lol... Dang that stinks... I guarantee the recordings on the Sonors sound better...
Didn't he go to a English company, if not European?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Yeah Premier is English, but no way they are better than Sonors. Nikko musta got dropped from Sonor or something. Pissed in the wrong beer can? lol

I used to have Premiers and loved em but would have jumped at a chance to have the Sonors... Still would! I need to find a Designer series or a SQ2 used. I love the hardware and the Sonors sound so dang good...

Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 AM

^ Probably not

Let me give you my view for consideration.

Being a Sonor endorser myself, I can tell you first hand that they are a company that does not believe in giving people free gear. If you love the stuff, you should play it and pay what its worth. Marshall have a similar philosophy.

Unfortunately, as much as Sonor appreciates artists getting behind their name, I cant see them bending too much to the needs of their individuals.

I would suspect that perhaps Nicko's contract with them was not giving him enough exposure or offers as lucrative as competing brands, and considering his career opportunities, he probably moved over to Premier after they threw him a (probably sweeter) deal.

Of course, this is just my assumption, based on what many artiusts are doing these days - Trying to secure their longevity as artists in the industry by seeking out the best contract deals under various brands, regardless of who that may be. Its purely a business move.

By Sonor not bending to the whims of its artists in the same manner that many others do, it can guarantee two things.

1) Many artists will choose to go with a brand that will offer them the freebies and the exposure - in which case they arent loyal to Sonor or quality anyway.
2) The only people playing Sonors are the ones who WANT to be playing Sonors

Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Level 12 - Eleven Stroke Roll

slingerland is on a distinguished road

DER TROMMLER How's it going ? I want your opinion on this, which would you say is a better sounding set
Sonor the 3007 or the Pearl Reference Series

Thanks
SLINGERLAND

Closed Thread