Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

skippy is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone

Hi,
You guys can call me Skippy (i would prefer not to give out my real name.) I'm from MA. I have no drumming experience and plan on learning the basics once I get a set. Currently I am a bassist looking to learn all the instruments in a traditional rock band. My favorite drummers have to be Travis Barker, Keith Moon, and Neil Pert. Just wondering, where should I look/get for a first drum set that can be locally gigged? It would be preferred to contain everything I need to start (throne, toms etc.)

Thanks

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

sara is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy View Post
hi,
you guys can call me skippy (i would prefer not to give out my real name.) i'm from ma. I have no drumming experience and plan on learning the basics once i get a set. Currently i am a bassist looking to learn all the instruments in a traditional rock band. My favorite drummers have to be travis barker, keith moon, and neil pert. Just wondering, where should i look/get for a first drum set that can be locally gigged? It would be preferred to contain everything i need to start (throne, toms etc.)

thanks
welcome skippy. To find the best drumset for beginners like you , you can try to look for the "q series" of mapex drumsets. Just make sure that once you purchase your drumset, you must not forget to play and practice. As much as possible, don't skip playing skippy!!! :d:d:d

Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM

thanks sara nice pun there too! On musicians friend they don't have any of the q series. Also I have been looking at the Ludwig accent and Sonor Force 2007.

edit: just found the Mapex and it looks actually pretty sweet for the price and what I need. Also I just remembered that one of my friends have a set they might want to sell for even cheaper so I could replace the heads and get better cymbals.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Do yourself a favor, if the Sonor Force 2007 is in your price range grab it. That is by far the best of the kits mentioned.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Yeah I like the sonor quite a bit but the cheapest i can find is 650 with shipping. The Mapex is 440 and the set I can get from a friend will probably be around 300. Is it better to get a cheaper set and replace heads and cymbals or get a good kit out of the box?

edit: I also found the extremeforce 22 and 20 and the force special edition fusion. Are those equivilant to the 2007? All of the sonors need cymbals so what would be good starters, I am personally thinking either sabian B8 or Zildijian ZBT packs.

Last edited by skippy; 06-26-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Good question. Good cymbals are very expensive and good heads are relatively inexpensive. The question you will have to ask yourself is do you see yourself going any further than learning the basics?

If the answer is yes, then you will want to get the best quality shells you can get that fit into your budget. This will allow you to have shells that will sounds good for a very long time. You can upgrade cymbals after that one at a time when cash flow allows.

If the answer is no, then as long as you get a kit that won't fall to pieces in short order you are fine. (either the Sonor or the Mapex will do fine in this situation)

Sonor Force 2007 has Birch shells and the Mapex Q has Basswood shells. In my opinion Birch is the better wood, and Sonor builds a better quality shell. Now, don't get me wrong here, both the Mapex Q and the Sonor Force 2007 are good beginner sets.

The other option would be to shop the classifieds in your local papers, the Thrifty Nickel and Craig's List to find a good used set. In this economy this will probably get you the best kit, cymbals and hardware for the least money.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM

On craigslist I could only find a Pearl Forum. I plan on learning the basics for now as I still play bass. The sets I have been interested in are the
mapex q series because they are cheap and seem decent
Sonor Force 2007 because everyone seems to reccommend it
Sonor Extreme Force 22, 20, and Force Special Edition Fusion because they are a little cheaper than the force 2007,
the pearl forum if it comes with everything
my friends drun set because it will be really cheap.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM

The Force 2007 is the best on that list, that aside the rest are at equal in quality. Really in terms of a starter sets none of those are a bad choice.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:38 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

I back up Mr. Der 101% but I would like to put in my $.02 and also suggest EBay.

Happy hunting and I like that pun from Sara. I would put another one in but because we don't know each other yet, I'll just leave it at that. Haha

Good luck on your quest.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Okay so if I can afford it I should get the sonor force 2007. I would end up buying the sonor off ebay probably or the Mapex Q. The others I am kind of leaving out. I would laugh if my friends' set was a sonor force 2007.