Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

cdr116 is on a distinguished road

Recording Questions...very important to me

This might be a stupid question, and I'm expecting a fairly simple answer but it should help me out a LOT.

So here it is:

I want to be able to record my drums (as well as other instruments/vocals for my band) on my laptop (Macintosh MacBook, the new aluminum ones).

I need enough inputs for my drums (about 7 including overheads) and then others for our singer/guitarist/bass guitarist.

I was thinking about a Behringer Eurorack 1202 mixer because it has 12 inputs and it's only 70 dollars.

BUT THE QUESTION IS is that all i need to record onto my laptop, assuming I have mics already? Or do I need an external soundcard? I think my computer only has a mic-in and not a line-in.

Sorry for such a long question but I really need help. Thanks guys!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Re: Recording Questions...very important to me

correction: my MacBook laptop has a LINE-IN, not a mic-in.

I hear this is better than having a mic-in because it picks up stereo rather than mono.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Line in's can record a lot better.
Do you have the file "Garage Band"?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Before you can plug in anything to your lap top, you also need a converter. The line in on your computer is for stereo input. So it goes this way, Mics, Mixer, Converter, Laptop. If there's a midi input on your laptop, it's best that way. You'll be able to record digitally instead of analog.

The Garage Band software that comes with your Mac is good for beginners. Later you may want to get something more advanced, like ProTools or some other recording software.

God Luck and happy Recording.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

chezm is on a distinguished road

question: Why do you need to use 7 mics? I mean, it definitely doesn't hurt doing it but it's not necessary. How big's your kit?

As for the inputs question...hmmmmm. Via laptop, my suggestion would be to record the drums seperate (not live) with the band...I don't know of any portal soundcard USB interfaces that have 12+ input channels (they may exist, ive never seen one).

You're planning to record drums, have you done it before? If not check out my basic tips.

chezmarrone.com - drum recording tips

Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Mixer Example: Behringer XENYX-1202FX
12-Input (4 mic, 4 stereo) 2-Buss Plus Digital Effects Send with Rotary Controls
Behringer XENYX-1202FX

Adapter converts analog to digital, Stereo to PC or Laptop. No USB connection needed, Midi card available and has Midi to Midi connections from mixer to converter to laptop.

The MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter applies selected velocity curves to incoming MIDI notes. Curves can be selected from 40 preset curves or a user defined curve. Even though the 40 presets offer a wide range of curves that are enough to cover most needs, the user curve makes the Velocity Converter a completely versatile device by allowing one curve to be created to an exact specification.

Midi Card: RME HDSP-CARDBUSFor the Hammerfall DSP I/O-boxes Digiface, Multiface and RPM, RME have developed a world-exclusive PCMCIA type II card in Zero wait state CardBus Busmaster technology. With up to 130 MB/s transfer rate in both directions the same basic performance is provided on a notebook as a PCI card would offer on a desktop computer. Additionally the card offers highest compatibility by being 100% Plug & Play compatible under Windows and Mac OS, and being able to share interrupts. The card itself will only use one interrupt (IRQ) for all functions (audio/MIDI.)

Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Awesome thank you guys for the tips and help

i've never recorded drums before and I realized i don't know why i thought I needed 7 Mics. I have a 5 piece kit so I guess I was thinking 1 for the hats, 1 for snare, 2 rack toms, 1 floor tom, 1 kick drum, and 1 overhead (making 7).

I'm very much a beginner to recording so i appreciate all the help

Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Recording Questions...very important to me

Hi CDR116,

I am in the middle of the same "game" being it in a recording studio.
Personally I would mic as follows:

Snare, Bass (kick), Highats and a good quality overhead.
I would leave the toms un-mic-ed for now.

The highat mic-ing is up for discussion, it depends how prominent you want them to be.
The toms respond to micing like an alcohollic to a grog shop!
Because they have the biggest sustain of all drums AND are covering the whole midrange of frequencies they tend to dominate the total sound mix when mic-ed.

Of course this is (again) a very personal view! I find that recording straight into the recording unit, being a computer or not takes quite a bit of "live feel" away.
We (my band) have run our outputs also through a top quality acoustic amp, and then have a top-quality mic in front of the amp which is fed into the mix.. It works real cool

Cheers and Happy Drumming,

Harry

Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Sweet thanks Harry I appreciate the advice.

I need a fairly cheap way of recording my 5 piece kit on my macbook. maybe around $200 USD?

idk if that's possible...

Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

chezm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr116 View Post
Awesome thank you guys for the tips and help

i've never recorded drums before and I realized i don't know why i thought I needed 7 Mics. I have a 5 piece kit so I guess I was thinking 1 for the hats, 1 for snare, 2 rack toms, 1 floor tom, 1 kick drum, and 1 overhead (making 7).

I'm very much a beginner to recording so i appreciate all the help
If you have the $$ then definitely go for that route...but remember, you want to use decent quality mics (and they dont come cheap). So, if you're tight for cash...there are alternatives that still sound good.

I myself use 4 mics (5 piece set), you can hear samples @ Chez Marrone on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Those were recorded with 4 Shure mics and a 12 year old crappy pearl export kit. I think it turned out decent quality.

Also, I made a "Begineer Drum Recording" section on my official site...it may be helpful: chezmarrone.com - drum recording tips

Closed Thread