Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Recording Questions...very important to me

Check out the drum mics thread I started last week. This is tips from the pros and works all the way to budget recordings. Click on Drum Mics.

http://www.drumsetconnect.com/drum-f...drum-mics.html

The Shure DMK 57 drum mic package goes for around $350 US you get three SM57 mics, a 52 kick mic. and it comes with cables.

I've got two packages due to having too many drums for the set up of my liking.

Led Zepplin did most of the drum recordings with only three mics. One on the kick and two overhead.

Most important thing is the acoustics of the room, that can be a quick fix with insulation. And a good mixer with desent pre-amps. The rest can be done with ProTools or even Garage Band for recording.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

chezm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
Check out the drum mics thread I started last week. This is tips from the pros and works all the way to budget recordings. Click on Drum Mics.

http://www.drumsetconnect.com/drum-f...drum-mics.html

The Shure DMK 57 drum mic package goes for around $350 US you get three SM57 mics, a 52 kick mic. and it comes with cables.

I got that package...its awesome

Old 08-27-2009, 08:37 PM

I had to get two kits. Plus I have some other mics I'll be using for the over heads. Still got lots of work to finish. Can't wait to get this thing on the roll.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 AM

My son insisted on the Yamaha MG166C mixer. It's got plenty of inputs for our needs for a home studio. Nothing fancy but according to him it worked well. He had a five band gig the other day and gave it a good test run. He and some old college buddies got together and had a blast. I could hardly hear a thing, once the door was closed.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

I've glazed over this entire thread and I don't think the OP has gotten a good answer yet.

I believe the question was: I have seven things to record, how do I get them into my MacBook at the same time?

If you have a MacBook, chances are, you also have GarageBand. What you need is a USB audio interface that can input at least 8 mics into the computer.

I bought myself the Tascam US-1641 8-channel (actually it's 10, but 8 XLR's was what I was looking for) USB interface. I plug all my mics in to this box, and the box plugs into the computer via a USB cable. Start-up GarageBand, set up 8-tracks to record on, and you're good to go.

The problem you face with computer-interface set-ups is that you're limited depending on your computing power. I believe I'm pushing my little PowerBook G4 to the limit when I record 8 tracks at once, but if I do 4 at once, it functions ok. You're also limited by your hard drive speed. A standard speed for MacBook hard drives is 5400 RPM's on the platters. Digital audio behaves better if you have a hard drive that can spin at 7200 RPMs. However, like I said, if I don't tax-out my PowerBook, it does OK. I just have to work a little slower and differently.

Does this answer the question or have you figured all this out? I noticed this thread was from last year.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:14 PM

It's never too late to get the right answer.

An M-Box should suffice for an inter-phase .

Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

Ok, now, I'm more of a computer tech, that can come up with some good ideas, rather than an audio tech. I had an Idea, and wanted to get everyones input, to see if this would work or not.

My idea was to basically buy 7 or 8 Rock Band Mics. Now, I know that they pick up vocals very well, and my drums too! - I was thinking - If I got these mics, hooked them up to my drums, then to my Macbook Pro with a usb hub or two, Then setup an aggregate device in garage band, I could record each drum individually and then add my compression and effects afterwards. (As well as adjusting individual volumes, etc.)

If anyone can prove me badly wrong, let me know, but I'd be curious if this would work. If it would, I could save a ton on drum mics. Right now I'm using a bunch of Shi**y $10 Mics from Wal*Mart. It works, but not very well.

So, thoughts?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM

With low budget mics recording ambiance would be just fine. Then you can adjust the mixers and EQ's to your satisfaction.

As for recording each drum individually, it's not a good idea due to the diaphragms on these mics, that can't handle the impacts of the drum's sound. These diaphragms can crack very easily and then they're ruined.

To record the drums individually, I would save up a little and get a Shure SM-57 or equivalent.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

You may not need a mic on EVERYTHING. I've done a few recordings where I had one mic in the bass drum, and one good mic overhead. About two drumstick lengths up from the snare drum. Came out great.

Remember that John Bonham rarely recorded with more than three mics at times. Start small and get a good sound first, then add mics if you need them. But don't fall into the trap of thinking you absolutely need a mic on every little thing. That just creates headaches. The whole idea is to get a good sound into your computer.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

Ok, well - Currently I have two of the aforementioned mics. I only have one mic stand. My current overhead mic is dangling from a few nails in the ceiling. Staying with the pure digital (Usb Mics), and not using the Two Regular mics (Standard vocal mics) Because I don't think I can use them both in unison, where would you suggest placement of the mics? - I'd really like the bass drum to stand out too, I play Alternative rock, and the bass stands out pretty well in that class of music.

Thanks!

Closed Thread