Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Re: Recording Questions...very important to me

Like I said, one in front of the bass drum, if you have a hole in your head, stick it about an inch inside. Put the other one overhead - stand one stick straight up from the snare head, then put another stick on top of that, at the end of that height, that's where you put the overhead mic. Your entire drum sound should wash right into that mic, and the bass drum mic is worrying about that drum alone. Between the two you can mix so the kit sounds balanced.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

Ok, I'm gonna try that this weekend, and see what I can come up with. Any compression tips I can try as well?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM

With what you have, don't worry about it. Just keep your input levels low so you don't overdrive into your computer. Digital distortion sucks, avoid it at all costs.

Unless you're going to get an out-board compressor, there's not much you can do about it. I try not to use too much compression anyway, too much and it doesn't sound natural. Experiment with different mic positions too. I had a bass drum that sounded like crap when you put the mic on the right side. But it sounded great with the mic on the left. Go figure!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had a bass drum that sounded like crap when you put the mic on the right side. But it sounded great with the mic on the left. Go figure!
Interesting situation. Did you ever draw any conclusion as to why that was Bo?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM

I thought that compression was good though? - These are both usb mics, so All mixing will be after the fact, including volume levels. I found that if I don't compress however, the toms seem to overpower everything. Do you think that will matter if I'm switching to a 2 (But good) Mic setup?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm pretty new to recording drums. - But I'd like to get good at it.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Most of Led Zepplin's earlier recordings were done with one mic in the front and two mics overhead.

If it worked for them it'll work for you.

Check out this thread:
http://www.drumsetconnect.com/drum-f...drum-mics.html

Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trommler View Post
Interesting situation. Did you ever draw any conclusion as to why that was Bo?
Never figured it out. The drum coulda' been a little out of round, but it happened if I had somebody else play the drum, it happened when we tried a different mic. Maybe all of our ears just liked it better when it was on the good side of the drum. It was a large drum, a 24", so that coulda' been it too. Smaller ones never had that issue. That was about five drumkits ago for me, so hopefully whoever owns it now loves it anyway!

About the compression issue, yes compression is important as it helps to "clean up" your signal a bit by pushing down on your dynamic range (keeping your really loud passages at an acceptable level), thus allowing you to bring your initial input up into the recorder. But in it's simplest form, you want to get a good signal to begin with from the mic, and just get that signal to the recorder.

If you can do that with what you have, then the recording game is almost won. There's so much you can do with just EQ, for example, and of course you'll later add reverb or some other effect. I try to keep the signal as uncomplicated as possible. In fact, if you leave your EQ alone, you should be able to experiment enough to find out how to get a great sound just by moving the mic around. Stick that bass drum mic far into the drum, then put it just outside the drum, try all kinds of positions until you get something you like. Then when you add EQ, it'll even sound better (or not), but that's what it is, you experiment, and if you have time, spend the time.

So although it's almost de riguer that you have compression on your tracks, try getting a good sound first, then determine if compression is what you actually need. Through experimentation, you can eliminate using copius amounts of eq, because any kind of electronic altering to your signal will degrade your signal slightly, so it's best to start with a good sound before you have to rely on your recording software to help alter it.

That's where I'm coming from on that. I just want to start with good solid signals to begin with, then add stuff if you absolutely need it. I hope that helps!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Yes, thank you very much for the input. Makes a lot of sense. I unfortunately didn't have the time to try to record this weekend, but I should have an hour or so during the week to screw around. Either way, thanks, and I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

Well seeing as noones bothering to respond to my recording thread I'll throw in my two cents here.

I've got a setup that is running pretty good right now. An intel core 2 duo 1.8 g with 2g ram and cubase le4 that came free with my digitech rp350. Two cport interfaces that gives 16 inputs at once. 2 legacy studio monitors, and an old 12 channel fender sun mixer.

The pc seems to be handling all inputs at once.

I didn't have the cash for dm57's but just picked up a 7 piece set of alctron drum mics from eBay for $250. They shared similar specs to the shures and I've had resonable results with cheapies in past.

I'll be micing up with the a kick mic. 2 on the snare. One on each Tom. A pencil condenser on the hats and ride and two overhead for the left and right plus a Samson c03 large diaphragm condenser in the overhead center for the booms.

Zoom is now selling an 8 channel interface/mixer that also records direct to flash card or pc. Should be Mac compatible and I'm pretty sure it includes cubase. You should check it out.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Thread Closed due to too much spam being attracted to it.

Closed Thread