Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Drums and Drum Sets

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Rock is on a distinguished road

Cheap sets for beginnners?

I have no experience and may not get any good, but I'd like to give a try. I've seen 5 pc sets for ~$300 US. Worth it all for a beginner?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Luke is on a distinguished road

Re: Cheap sets for beginnners?

If your going to get a beginner set I would recommend a pdp set. Also you have to factor in hardware, cymbals, and new heads if you want to make that investment.

For beginner hardware: Both pdp and sp have good beginner hardware packs for cheap prices.

For beginner cymbals: Sabian B8's are a good bet I actually own them and like them very much. Also Zildjian ZBT and ZXT are ok from what I've heard.

Choosing to upgrade heads: Heads make all the difference in sound. usually stock bass drum heads that come with the set aren't too bad, but toms and snare are almost a must to replace. I recommend getting Evans G1's for new tom resonate heads and G2's or EC2's for batter (top) heads if you want a deeper sound out of your toms. Also the Evans Snare Tune Up Pack will dramatically increase the sound quality from your snare. Also Aquarian Focus-x snare heads are pretty good.

Hope that helped! If you have any more questions please ask the forum buying a new set is an investment and it's best to gather as much knowledge as you can before you buy a new set. Also going to Guitar Center and trying out sets there can help you decide also!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Great advice Luke!

You may also want to consider looking on craigs list and checking out the local classifieds. Right now you can find nice intermediate sets for that kind of money also.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM

I have much to learn. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Brzozowski321 is on a distinguished road

I know this is a few days old - hope you are still reading, researching, and have not bought yet. This may sound off, but start with the pawn shops. I bought my Yamaha Rydeen set complete with throne, all hardware and original cymbals for a lousy $325. Mint condition. Agreed Rydeens are a beginner set, but a good beginner set that is not produced anymore. I've since haunted the shops often AND used music shops and found a number of cymbals, rototoms, and found a great full size motorcycle seat throne with a backrest with lockable wheels still in the box for $75. The stuff is out there. Just have cash in your pocket and be ready to ask if they will do better. Most will. A local pawn shop near me now has a set of Pearls, 5 piece set with a steel snare, cymbal stands, high-hat, even cases - $400 out the door. Comes with three cymbals, two of which are Zyldians. May need a couple new skins, but the set is pretty clean.
If you can afford it now, in this economy, there are great bargains as more and more people have to bite the bullet to get money. And the pawn shops are virtually overloaded with stuff, they will move it at a lower profit to make the room.
Do not buy any of the no-name sets from e-bay. Have seen some of those up close, and they will turn you away from drums in no time.
Good luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

A Tama rockstar goes for about $500 as a shell pack.
For this month at Guitar Center.com or at a store near you, they have a $50 off printable coupon for August. which brings it to $450, excluding hardware and cymbals.
I suggest Zildjian ZBT cymbals, (a crash-ride, crash, and hi-hats should be good.)
and the Sound Percussion 4 or 5 piece hardware pack for $100- $200.
The ZBT's would be about $150 with a free 14'' crash.
That would be total of about...$700 to about $800
Pretty nice starter set. I highly recommend it. Good Luck, and happy Drumming!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Luke is on a distinguished road

Just to make a comment about the Tama rockstar, It's a great set I have one After upgrading the heads it sounds like a much more expensive kit and it looks really nice too. Remember, if you can, try out whatever you buy before you get it so you wont be disappointed. I have made that mistake before and from now on I will research and test things I'm looking to buy before I do get them

Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. Iím a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I bought a cheap electronic (iDE02?) set. They make drum noises, but I donít think they have a feel anywhere close to real skins. My goal is first to see if I can actually learn to play (Iím an old guy) and then to see if I can get to a point that I wonít embarrass myself if others hear. With the e-set I just put on the headphones and Iím in my own little world. The Pastor at our church said I can practice on the church set, so Iíll get a chance to feel the real deal. Worst case Ė I put them back on Craigís list. Iím only $125 in so no harm.

But, for right now, itís RLRR LRLL over and over again.

Rock

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

Don't be embarrased one bit Rock your approach to this is very smart. Why sink a ton of money into something you aren't sure you will continue with. Take your time and don't be discouraged, you will not be Buddy Rich overnight, none of us were. As long as you have fun with it and enjoy playing you will never grow tired of it.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the encouagement. Maybe not Buddy Rich, but I was shooting for Sandy Nelson. I've said all along, "If I get the point that I can play Wipeout, I'm good to go."

RLRR LRLL