Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Squildjian is on a distinguished road

Flamboyant or Pocket Drumming?

Most people tend to think that drumming should be only a timekeeping medium that should never complement the music and that should remain between snare, kick, hat, ride, and crash, and that drummers need to remain completely focused on time and never think about the music of their instrument. On the other side of the spectrum is those who think that drumming should be its own instrument and should be completely complementary with less regard to technique or uniqueness.

The former usually say that fills should be restrained and simple, and the latter tends to think the whole song should be a fill. I like to think my drumming falls into somewhere around the middle though unwillingly leaning towards the more flamboyant side, as I was raised under the philosophy of Moon. I tend to incorporate a lot of hi - hat subaccents and splash rushes with fills that tend to fall every eight bars, though I'm trying to work on that (I do find it funny that the three rock greats that people tend to quote, those being Moon, Peart, and Bonham, tend to fill every eight bars, and yet the pocket side usually condemns that), though rest assured I do respect and incorporate that time is the first thing of importance in drumming, but I'm curious as to what you think and how you play.

Do you prefer drumming that is simple and restrained, or drumming that leans a little towards the flamboyant side, with more complex patterns and times and more common and fun fills? Also, how does your drumming come out - complex, or simple?

Last edited by Squildjian; 08-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: drum simple complex flamboyant pocket

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Level 26 - Flam Paradiddle-diddle

Infero Exicution is on a distinguished road
Drum Awards Showcase

Re: Flamboyant or Pocket Drumming?

Mine is leaning more toward flamboyant.
I just think you can express your style and skills more effectively than pocket style.
Thats my own preference. But I also feel that pocket is need a lot and
can really make or break a song. Somewhere in the middle is the best for me.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

JD_McJayderson is on a distinguished road

I've only been a drummer since the start of the year, so I don't have much technique, but for me, setting the groove is good, because you get the "Feel" of the music.

If the feel isn't right with the rest of the band, it's only going to make matters worse.

So for me, playing to what the music needs and setting the groove is more of a priority than being a flamboyant drummer who has a lot of technique. But that doesn't mean I can't show off every once and a while.

In essence it's up to you. You're the drummer. Do what you think will help in the conversation that is music.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Drum Awards Showcase

So, would you say you are in the middle as well?
I think that is the most reasonable area too.
You can show what you can do, at the same time keeping time and going with the
flow of the music.
I think full Pocket style kind of restricts the drummer.
But thats just me.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

little elf is on a distinguished road

Hi there

I'm a beginner so not much flamboyancy happening (YET).

In terms of what I hope to be, and what I like listening to, I think both the styles you talk about have their place, and I feel it's important to be able to do both. I love tricky playing, little frilly fills, and kicks, and cymbal work but then I also love a big fat straight chunky groove. Whatever the song requires, I think. I don't think one has to subscribe strictly to one style or the other. How about... in between? Not too over the top but not too 'anal'.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM

Drum Awards Showcase

So your in between too little elf?
Sounds like most of us are.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:03 PM

JD_McJayderson is on a distinguished road

You mean Less Is More? :P

You know, even moving the snare around the back beat is a cool way of dynamically changing the sound yet still have the same tempo and groove, or even ghosting a snare hit just before the louder snare back beat.
That's one thing I've been finding sounds cool lately. It just gives it a bit more flare, but just subtly. Sometimes I like the notes that you "Can't" hear over the ones you can, so to speak.

Restraint, Knowing what you're doing, and what you should be doing is a good thing to me.

Plus technique is all well and good, but if you can't put emotion behind that, it just sounds like exercises. and you don't want that

Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Drum Awards Showcase

I love the Ghost notes.
They keep the excitement in the beat as it goes.
I like to call it "Snare Sizzle".

Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: Flamboyant or Pocket Drumming?

Hi all,
This thread is most interesting, and can also be a bit confusing when the term "pocket drumming" is not defined.
All I know is playing "In the pocket" which means that strange and hard to describe effect when everybody in the band are working in cohesion, a euphoric and delightful experience, when 1+1 equals 3, one that causes goose bumps to appear on my arms!
Does anybody else has that kind of experience?
This coincides with an awareness of being right in the groove.
This can happen while playing simple (meaning uncomplicated), restraint music, or it can happen being at the other end of the scale, a full blown cacophonic eruption where the whole band comes together with all instruments (w)rung out to capacity.

There are so many scales in between, hard to define.
For myself, it entirely depends on the style of music I am playing, and even on "that" particular song itself.
The two extremes at the scale could be: from- Song Song Blue by Neil Diamond to- Rosanna by TOTO. (example only)
I will give two examples of what this means for myself when I am drumming in these extreme opposite ends of the scale.

1-When I am playing with my little rock/blues/country band and we would perform say, "I want to wake up with you" by Boris Gardner, which is a reggae song, I would have just a steady two-step beat with some offset "clangs" on the 10" snare or cymbal bell.
2-At the moment I am also doing a lot of work with the Gospel group Yeshanah, playing original music.
Some of these songs are so "laden" with emotion that I cannot help laying into the kit with full vigor and get the kit and cymbals pretty much "maxed out"
(man that feels sooohhhh good!)

Cheers and happy Drumming,

Harry

Old 08-30-2009, 05:36 PM

devin734 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Harry when it comes to the definition of "in the pocket"... It's all about setting a proper mood, really. For instance, Danny Carey's flamboyant style with Tool probably wouldn't fit into a simplistic Roots song, but I'd say both Danny and Questlove play very much in the pocket!

I personally try to be very cautious and particular with things like drum fills. I make sure they "fill" up the song rather than simply filling up time. I can't stand hearing a fill that sounds completely separated from the rest of the song. As long as we use our heads and think about the musicality of what we play, I think flamboyance can be an extremely musical thing!

All in all, too often us musicians lack the maturity and feel to know where, when, and how to pop out or blend in with our music.

Myself included, of course...

Last edited by devin734; 08-30-2009 at 05:42 PM..