Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Symyn240 is on a distinguished road

Hello

Hello all, name is Sam, been playing for a few years now on an old Rockstar Pro, wanting to step it up here in a few months to something a little nicer, like all sorts of music for inspiration, thanks to all!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 04:41 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Hello

Welcome to the forum Mr. Symyn240.

Lots of help here on your venture. So how much nicer do you want to go a drum kit?

You've come to the right place. So look around and have fun.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM

Well, i have in my opinion a very nice looking and sounding set, but my brother just asked me to join him as he starts his tour with his band and i don't want to let him down, so i am looking for something that would be more "Big Stage" worthy like a decent Yamaha or DW, or something i can choose everything for. I have always been partial to DW's but recently Yamaha's have been catching my favor. Just don't want to let him down you know.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM

Gretsch is my pref of drums. But I can't lug my huge kit around. Besides, I got it for studio and recordings mostly.

DW's are good drums and PDP also. The budget is what's deterring lots of drummers now a days from getting their dream kit, and it's an investment that will be with you a long time. So choose wisely and always try, before you buy.

Good Luck to you on your quest, and happy trails.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM

ID like to, it just seems that you can barely play on any of them anymore, at least not for real, you go into places like guitar center and they give you brushes or rods to play with, i don't mind playing with those, but they are just not the majority of what i play with. Seems like i could get a better feel if i could use sticks. I guess if i show them the money first, they probably wouldn't have an issue haha

Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

I have had similar experiences at Guitar Center myself and I can tell you how to stop that attitude real fast. Tell them you will buy your new equipment from someone that will let you hit them first. When you turn towards the front door they change their mind about letting you play what ever you are in the market for drum sets included.

I tend to use local drum shops for that reason. My favorite shop will match GC's pricing just to keep me coming back, not to mention over the years they have gotten to know who I am as well as know my current equipment. Here is a good example....they knew I was in the market for a couple of splashes and I was going to settle for my second choice because I thought my first choice was to expensive, so a few weeks later I get a phone call from them and they tell me they have gotten in few on a promo deal and sold them to me for the same price as my second choice (nearly $200.00 off). No GC employee will do that for you I guarantee!

OK enough of my rant.

DWs are very good drums but you can get outstanding sound from less expensive brands like Yamaha, Sonor, Gretsch or Pearl.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM

Never been a fan of pearl, but i am always open, any good drum shops in San Diego???

Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Der is right, I've been to Guitar Center to get guitar strings and such for my son. I got to know a manager there. Really nice guy.

I went to Sam Ash where I took my son's Fender 1966 Mustang to get it re-ferreted. I also new a guy there that worked a Manny's Music (One of the biggest music stores in NYC). They where bought over by Sam Ash.

I met up with the manager from Guitar Center who quit the store, he was the guitar section manager at Sam Ash. I've always been treated like a musician and with respect at Sam Ash. Whether just buying sticks or strings or what ever I need. Good Courtesy and respect always gets the customers back over trying to make a commission.

Bottom line: Guitar Center is always trying to push what their over stock is. That is not a musically oriented in my book. I always knew more about the product, than whatever they tried to sell me. Especially the Amps from the old days. They had no idea that I repaired lots of equipment in the old days.

Now I have two friends at Sam Ash.

Another thing is that if you try ordering online from Guitar Center, you end up ordering from Musiciansfriend.com

Keep on trying stuff before you buy. Remember that after you pay, it's yours before you even leave the store.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symyn240 View Post
Never been a fan of pearl, but i am always open, any good drum shops in San Diego???

You can for example, go to guitarcenter.com and click on store locator and put in you zip code. The same with samash.com o0r any other music store that your looking for.