Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Gonz is on a distinguished road

New old guy

Hi all,

Looks like a great place you all have here, I'm looking forward to seeing what's to see. I've been playing drums/percussion since the mid 80's, before that I played Violin for 5 years and trumpet for 2 years before I finally got my wish to switch over to percussion. The funny thing is my grade school band teacher wouldn't let me switch to drums, he said, "You need to stick with trumpet, you'll never be any good at drums...". Well, first-chair as a freshman in high school, all-state orchestra/band, minor in music performance in college and having played in many very good groups later I think I proved him wrong!

And now I have a six year old who really wants to learn for himself. I'd like to think my experience in lessons (besides that grade school teacher ) has been good and I was lucky to have some very talented private teachers. Now I want my son to learn the best way possible and I want to do all I can to be sure that I (or whoever else) teach him correctly from the beginning. No bad habits and proper technique.

I've got a ton of questions, but I'll spare all of you for now and go use the search function.

Andy

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Level 9 - Seven Stroke Roll

Harry is on a distinguished road

Talking Re: New old guy

Hi Gonz,

I am old enough to be philisophical about "advice" we receive without asking for it.

Especially when it comes from Family, Friends, and Teachers!!
A lot of guys will advice against ALL of the things they did not DARE to take on THEM SELVES !

Just as well that you did not take it (the advice) to heart.
Now you have a lot of fun with the drumming, instead of polishing the old trumpet.

This (unsolicited advice) is acatually happening a lot, and is a recipe for broken dreams.
So called "good advice" is dangerous when the source of all this wisdom is failing to make life work for them selves.

So knock them kettles and be happy!

Cheers and Happy Drunmming,

Harry

Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: New old guy

School teacher have a criteria to follow. Do you want to be a selfer or a follower?

It's like that old song that goes a little like this:

"It's your thing, do what you wanna do.
I can't tell you, who to sock it to."

Get the message?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Michael Angelo Ferlaino is on a distinguished road

"A man who never failed is a man that has never tried." (Harry S. Truman) Failure to a motivated individual is the instrument necissary to make adjustments and try again. "We shall NEVER surrender!" (Winston Churchill) And as far as advise from those around you, those who can; do, and those who cannot; teach. You can learn something from everybody, even a failure. L8R Harry

Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Michael Angelo Ferlaino is on a distinguished road

Hey Andy! In the beggining I never recieved instruction, as I got my first drum kit at the age of 2, because my parents were tired of me ruining pot lids and poking holes in the furniture with wooden spoons. Take it easy on your boy. If this is something he really desires to do, he will follow through. Besides, at 6, even if he can read, it is in a remidial sense (see spot run.) Let him enjoy the music and rhythms, the technique and style can come when he actually can comprehend what is being explained to him. What is important now is that you let him develop a relationship with the music and have fun. L8R Andy

Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

I'm really tired of this whole "Bad Habit" thing coming from other drummers on the forum also, not just from parenting and how society looks at you and so on.

I've taught my sons by example instead of trying to make them something their not meant to be. Therefore, they can think for themselves today now that they are both grown men.

Assimilation has been used as a method to teach for too long in this neck of the woods or side of the pond as some would say.

It's about time people started thinking out of the box, not like a Jack In the Box.