Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Drum Mics

Luke, that's a great find.

My son was lucky. He had an IMac with an M-Box.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Luke is on a distinguished road

The presonus firestudio is basically the same thing as the m-box, just cheaper and more compatible with different software, it's better in my opinion I believe is has more inputs too.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

Cymbals & Snares is on a distinguished road

There not recording mic's but I will tell you a few christmasses ago I recieved a set of Carvin Drum mikes for live performances a few for the toms and one for the kick drum and I will tell you they sound great and were fairly inexpensive if I remember. T

Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

resonut is on a distinguished road

Our soundman picks them depending on room or hall acoustics. If we are in a lively boomy room he will use the SM91 ocassionally on the BD. Its usually the small small AKG or Sure mikes on the toms. Hi-hats get some sort of pen type mike and a couple of overheads. The bass drum mike is the one that changes. Oh ya, 57 on the snare 99% of the time.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM

Shure SM-57's are one of the most common mics, even for guitar recordings and voice.
Their very durable.

AKG's are up there too.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

Luke is on a distinguished road

I've used SM57's for tons of applications. I use them as overhead mics, as a snare mic, they work for tom mics, I've made great recordings of an acoustic guitar with them and Ive had great results micing a guitar cab. So if you need some mics, it's always great to have a few 57's around.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

Revolver Custom Drums is on a distinguished road

I agree with the last post, been recording drums a long time, They take the most time of any instrument to get right, but there’s no wrong mic or technique. In fact proper mic placement is more important then number of mics and quality of mics. Experiment …that’s the key, I have herd amazing recordings with just two or three mediocre mics. But all his mic choices are “ so to say industry standards”

Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM

As I have mentioned before, Led Zepplin did most of their recordings with only three mics on the drums.

And yes, placement is extremely important.

Read original post #1.

The second most important is mixing.

Mic brand is second to none, but the sound quality makes a huge difference when dealing with Impedance Match, which brings us up to another level in Studio Recordings.

Never use a Butter Knife as a screwdriver or Mommy or the Spouse Will Get Ticked Off.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Level 8 - Six Stroke Roll

Bo Eder is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody, new guy here.

My current job is as a sound engineer at the Disneyland Resort and I also agree that although there are certain mics for certain applications, you can use really anything. We own alot of mics at the resort and I've gotten a chance to use most of them, but lots of times I've come to the conclusion that it's what you plug into that counts the most.

Which is why I'm on the fence about how to record drums. I've recorded drums through big consoles (Yamaha M7's, the smallest I've used would be a Yamaha O1v) and I also own the Tascam 8-in USB interface going into a Mac. As an engineer, I prefer the console - it's by far the easiest way to get a good sound because everything is right there at your fingertips. Going into a computer means menus and then you're suddenly strapped with the overall power of the computer - if it's weak, eq-ing will take processing power, let alone applying any effects. So if you're gonna do it by computer, get the most power you can afford and learn to live with some limitations. If you can get a hardware based recorder (like an old Tascam DA88 linked up to a Yamaha O1v), you're good to go right there - you just have to deal with old technology and the possibility that you won't be able to find any tapes!

Sometimes I think it would just be easier to hire somebody's studio to record stuff. then you don't have to worry about it!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Sheephead is on a distinguished road

Hey there guys,

Ive just finished my 3 year uni course doing music technology so thought i could shed some light here.

There 2 ways to do it really.
You can either connect your mics via xlr cables to a external mixer (something like 8 channels) apply eq and set levels here then bounce to a stereo track into your computer.

Or

The best way IMO, get a firewire/Usb audio interface. As Luke meantioned, the presonus products are great. I personally use the FP10 by presonus. its about 300 GBP (last time i checked)
This basically gives your 8 XLR inputs which is enough for a 5 piece drum kit+overheads. It also has phantom power for all 8 channels which means you can use condersor microphones (which is a must for overhead mics).
The firewire interface itself will allow you to record 8 seperate channels and the FP10 comes with cubase for windows and mac which is a great DAW (digital audio workstation) to start with.
It will allow you to add effects, change levels, send to busses and finally bounce down on to a stereo track.
Heres a picture of the interface.

I hope i was some help!
Check my youtube channel to hear the drum sounds if you want. Using red5audio mics. They are low budget but are pretty good quality.

Sheephead