Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Andy B is on a distinguished road

Re: Drum Mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainojim View Post
Welcome to DSC Andy B.

These are guidelines referred by the pros. Naturally it all goes in accordance to ones tastes. The big deal is affordability vs the likes of the sound. Compensation is then run through the mixer. But then again you knew that.

I'm 59 and remember the old condenser mics that were suspended within a steel loop with springs. I wish I had one now to make me sound taller.
i got a set of T-Bones not T-Bags i got a set i use for stage and recording its what ya do with the dials that counts....anyway dude .I ain't a snob i'm a poor dude....honest i got my best mikes 4 weeks ago in an old fender bag a 190e and D12 akg for nothing! it was with a kit i bought for £95 with some Vintage zildjians thrown in......for good measure.....

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM

I was in a studio once and kid technition dropped one of those fancy £800 cage support ribbon mikes...it was dropped wile replacing it in the booth...he wasn't happy. I gave the kid a dustpan i think the engineer gave him a P45 and a good kicking....

Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Lucky dog, I can't even afford the Fender bag.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 AM

Thumbs up Re: Drum Mics

Hey Tanojin there is more to life then money...man... i would rather be with a good bunch of musicians out playing performing and having a good time then working with people who cant play..and have got top of range gear it saddens me when i see it. I would rather busk man than play with them.
I think they should donate that gear like a charity to the talent around that i have seen and played, performed with and even lent my own gear until they could get a few gigs under there belt and been able to buy there own..its times like that you become brothers man...Great advice you gave that kid on the LS-10 quality...insulation is the best and cheapest method and position....respect Tanojin...

Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Hey Tanojin there is more to life then money...man... i would rather be with a good bunch of musicians out playing performing and having a good time then working with people who cant play..and have got top of range gear it saddens me when i see it. I would rather busk man than play with them.
I think they should donate that gear like a charity to the talent around that i have seen and played, performed with and even lent my own gear until they could get a few gigs under there belt and been able to buy there own..its times like that you become brothers man...Great advice you gave that kid on the LS-10 quality...insulation is the best and cheapest method and position....respect Tanojin...
I've been couching kids on how to drum for many years and even donated rebuilt scrapped drumming gear to the less fortunate than me. I grew up in the slums of New York City. As a first nations people, I grew up with allot of crap thrown at me. So I had to study harder than the next kid during my schooling. Been drumming over fifty years, played with big bands as well as the friendly neighborhood persons. Young and old alike. Retired as an Electrical/Electronics Engineer. That's my impedance match. As a teen I also played as a sit in drummer for Electric Lady recording studios here on eighth street. So whether it's high end or low drums, music is music. One of my son's is a sound engineer and we advise each other with the new and the old. So if they can't play, teach them, if they can play, for me it's just as much fun.

Cheers and Hanta PO

Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Massive respect dude thats what its about the kids there the future man and the less fortunate there is some talent. I am currently working with some great projects cross bridging Reggie and soul with one band who want to write and perform some original material...
with a guy they call the preacher. I am also working with two covers bands one rock 80s covers pretty straight forward and a fresh young band that i have just joined some great bridges across jazz, funk and rock and rap... and a classic rock blues band who are a bunch of experienced players that got dropped in the **** by another drummer and we just hit it off and gelled so we go out gig have fun never rehearse its all improvisation....I would like to do more in the community and have thought about coaching in schools and youth clubs...and perhaps developing that into scholar ships and foundations that would be cool but funding at the moment is a problem with the government cut backs in the current climate....i would do it free tho man its the old saying you only get out of drumming what you put in.....
i worked in quality control for years then engineering and then went to university were i did joint honors in English and sports science....drumming still the best job tho i love it man...i feel free.....once again big respect

Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

drumn00b is on a distinguished road

Yeah hey again. This is a little off, but related to miking (how would you spell that?) the bass drum. I can't get it right :/ How would I tune/ muffle the individual heads, and where to place the mic? I think the tuning is more the problem, I just can't do it
I've tried loose batter, with tight reso, AND with loose reso, I've tried slightly tighter batter, I've put it inside outside, feet away inches away, takenthe reso head off, miked it from the front back sideways (maybe not) and everywhere.
By the way, it has Evans EMAD 2 on the batter (I still have both both rings) and a factory reso, that I've adapted to not give a flappy sound. Now it's more punchy when hit with a finger. ALSO I have a 4" porthole in the reso, so I CAN mic inside the drum, but it's small.
Any help is much appreciated THANKS GUYS

Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Once again, it's all about trial and error.

I use Remo Pinstripes, a belt type muffler, Sure SM-57 mic, and a drumdial for tuning.

Here are some samples of mic placements with different mics:

Old 04-29-2011, 05:15 AM
Level 4 - Multiple Bounce Roll

orionsbelt77 is on a distinguished road

It sounds as though you are searching for the ever elusive perfect kick sound...........yes, aren't we all? It appears that you have already tried everything under the sun in order to achieve that perfect sound. Unfortunately, I have never found a one size fits all , simple rule of thumb way of obtaining that. All I can tell you is how I have my mic setup.
Batter head loose, no wrinkles . ( Remo ebony pinstripe oil filled two ply ). No reso head.
Heavy moving blanket, folded placed on bottom of drum with edge of blanket against the inside of the batter. On top of the blanket I place a thick foam pad . The mic, mounted on a short mic stand (available at radio shack, if you are not close to a music store), sits atop the foam pad. The end of the mic (diaphragm) is in the middle of the drum, pointing dead center at the inside of the batter. I have two bass drums with the identical aforementioned method of muffling/mic placement. The mics I use are Sennheiser E-602's. I have achieved wonderful results with cheap mics as well and do try tweaking with the EQ , to weed out the tones you do not want and boost the tones that you do. I still find myself messing around with tuning and mic placement and eq and all things staying exactly the same, I still get different sounds from one recording session to another, as if little magic elves come out at night to screw me up in someway or another by tweaking this or that.
Hope this helps, or at the very least, does not hurt.

OB77........................Out.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Elves? and I thought they were Noams.

They can't be Keeblers because, then there would be shoes found somewhere.