Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

MaximusDukusErectus is on a distinguished road

Question 9 Year Old loves "Carmine Appice"

My son for the year has really been heavy into UTUBE videos and he happened to run across one of my favs...Carmin Appice in the "Valley of the Kings"video with Blue Murder.He has been watching old Buddy Rich,Neil of Rush,and a slew of other drummers but Carmin really caught his eye.I am new to this forum and played the skins a number of years back as a hobby.All of my friends growing up were musicians so I know just a tad more than Forrest...Forrest Gump concerning drumming .I get to play a low end PEARL FORUM set in a gym from time to time (one of my work contracts)and my son had a blast and then the videos sent him over the edge and playing is all he talks about.I am in a situation similar to the mate "down under" with his son,but I am so out of the loop on the quality these days.I grew up "PEARL" or you were a commie and my son and I have been drooling at all the sets they have at MUSICIAN'S FRIEND.I caught a video clip there of the TAMA "Warlord" series so I began to peek at some of the TAMA SETS.I am so freaking confused!I don't want entry level junk,but I cannot drop 2K either.I need to keep my budget around $1500.00(Bass,Two mounted toms,1 or 2 Floor toms,snare,high-hat,Ride,1 or 2 cymbals and the hardware.I don't ask for much!PEARL?TAMA?,Get the shells with the $1500.00 and keep adding on? I want something both of us will enjoy...Maple?Birch? DRUM GODS HELP! And what is D DRUM?Apologies are in order if I posted in the wrong area,thought I would throw my first post and story together.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

butter is on a distinguished road

Re: 9 Year Old loves "Carmine Appice"

welcome to the forum maximus

first of all, you may want to consider getting a drum set (shells and hardware) and then buying a cymbal pack separately. $1500 is a pretty good budget. most people asking about which set they should buy have a much lower budget. you have many, many options. i will suggest a few kits and cymbal packs, and then you can look around yourself for some and try stuff out at the shop.

as for Tama and Ddrum:
tama is a very prestigious company in the way of hardware, and almost as much so in the way of drums. i am very partial to tama and tama is what i have played in the past and what i will have for my next kit.
Ddrum is another drum company, however i have never heard anything positive about their drums without hearing something negative as well. i have been told that they make poor hardware and mediocre drums. i would advise against Ddrum completely.

there are also many other drum companies, you may have heard of some of them, of course.
DW is a high-end drum manufacturer, but they also make a line of drums called PDP, or pacific drums. PDP is still relatively new as a company, but they are quickly rising. as they are a division of DW, the hardware is fantastic and the drums are very good.
Gretsch is an older brand, but i dont know much about them other than that they are highly respected. the same thing goes for ludwig and yamaha brands.
as you said, pearl is a great brand. ive never heard anything negative about them, but for some reason i grew up the opposite of you, being taught that pearl was a bad company
i know now that they are great, but i still probably wouldnt buy a pearl kit. i still have a bit of reluctance towards them
two more good brands are Mapex and Sonor. both make good kits, but i think sonor is a bit better.

as for cymbals, just about any choice you make is a good one, as far as brand goes. its when you get specific with lines of cymbals within each brand that it becomes complicated. the big four are Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl, and Paiste. i play paiste and sabian and love them. for your cymbals, just go to the store and test out cymbals to see what you like. i cant advise you on that anymore because its completely preference. like i said, you can find cymbal packs that will make it easier to match sounds and buy all at once.

to better match your needs, it would be helpful to know what genre of music you will be playing. certain companies make kits that sound good in different applications. right now i will assume you like classic rock, due to the mention of peart and of course carmine appice.
also, some woods are better for different genres. birch has a brighter sound, as maple is warmer. alot of companies are using basswood now, too. it sounds more like maple, but it is cheaper. think about the sound you want and try everything.

finally, here are some sets:
Buy Tama Superstar SK Hyper-Drive 6-Piece Drum Set | Complete Drum Sets | Musician's Friend
Buy Pacific Drums by DW FS 6-Piece Drum Set | Complete Drum Sets | Musician's Friend
Buy Pearl Vision VBX926FP 6-piece Rock Drum Set | Complete Drum Sets | Musician's Friend

sorry if you didnt need so much information i dont know how much yo do know and how much yo dont, so i just posted what i thought would suffice.

good luck, hope this helped
butter

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

I've tried to mimic Apice's style but never exact. Close enough for the audience.

One Way or Another is my favorite with Cactus. Carmine also plays DDrums.

DDrum info:

ddrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ddrum - Acoustic Drums and Electronic Drum Products since 1983

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

its interesting he supports Ddrum...

does anyone on this forum play them?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 AM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Tama Imperialstar set for my niece. It's got the drums, hardware, and Meinl cymbals - hi-hat, crash, ride, spash. It's a starter drumset, but it's a goodie that will last. The drums are poplar, and the cymbals are not Zildians, but they are decent starter cymbals. At roughly $800 it's below your pricepoint, but would your son care or know the difference? How old is he?
You could move up to the Tama Superstar, but then you might have to buy separate hardware and cymbals. You can check on the Tama site, then check Musicians Friend online for prices.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Wink Re: 9 Year Old loves "Carmine Appice"

My son is going to be 9 on Thur.He and I have played on a 5 piece about twenty times together and I feel in my heart he really has talent,he has even learned a few "off beats" which shocked me.I was constantly around musicians growing up,some accomplished and most were wannabes.I played and had a set of Pearls that I would jam with my friends back in the eighties so I would like a set that is NOT ENTRY LEVEL JUNK with cheap wraps on the shells and its the "wood" that is most important to me personally.I am so "out of the loop" when it comes to price,quality,and what I think I want.BUTTER,if you take the time brother,I will appreciate any and all recommendations,treat me as a total"NOOB" and what I know or what I THINK I KNOW IS SO DATED that I need current advice and direction.I have been looking at PEARL EXPORT(I know,old as the hills but still a decent middle of the road shell construction),PEARL VISION(I know nothing about where it ranks in quality),TAMA SUPERSTAR and the STARWORKS SERIES.And last the PACIFIC DRUMS DW X7 MAPLE 7/5 PIECE SETS,I could save a little getting the "ply wrap"but would really prefer the SPARKLE LACQUER FINISH.DW has been around and I am guessing this is their more affordable line.Now should I just scap this and leave my wife,drain our accounts and get a sweet "PORK PIE"????LOL. I really need help in my decision making,SHELLS 1st,HARDWARE and CYMBAL SET 2nd,and then my add-ons such as :ELIMINATOR DEMON DRIVE or the COBRA?Which is the smoothest and has the speed? Butter thanx again and keep it coming!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Level 23 - Flamacue

haha alright then man im glad i can help.

i dont know anything about the pearl export, but there are some members on this forum who have owned/played them. they should be able to tell you about it.

the pearl vision is a great choice, as is the X7 and superstar series. the starworks drums ive heard are good but not many people like them due to the finishes they come in. personally i dont find them appealing.
i had my sights set on an X7 for a while, but then switched them to the superstar. that lacquer finish is amazing, but it was really hard for me to find the kit in the RIGHT lacquer finish, that i wanted when i was looking the X7 drums sounded great in the store, i had no complaints. warm with great feeling, i never had a chance to experiment with different heads, though.
basically youll be well off with any of the choices you listed.

ill tell you about hardware/pedals and cymbals in my next post, i have to go somewhere

Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM

Talking Re: 9 Year Old loves "Carmine Appice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
haha alright then man :d im glad i can help.

Ill tell you about hardware/pedals and cymbals in my next post, i have to go somewhere :d
"is she a hottie"?

Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

And I thought "Pearl Vision" was a place to get eye glasses.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Well, I'll be darned.