Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 02-13-2010, 05:42 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

How did you choose drums as your instrument? How did you get behind a drumset?

At age 11 Gene Krupa chose to play drums because they were the cheapest instrument in the music store where he worked.

He said, "I used to look in their wholesale catalogue for a musical instrument -- piano, trombone, coronet -- I didn't care what it was, as long as it was an instrument. The cheapest item was the drums, 16 beans, I think, for a set of Japanese drums; a great high, wide bass drum, with a brass cymbal on it, a wood block and a snare drum."

So that's how Krupa got behind a drumset.

As for myself, my dad was an excellent "by ear" Jazz pianist. My folks made me take piano lessons. I was OK, but there was no way I was ever gonna tear up a piano.

From listening to rock n' roll, I decided I wanted to play drums. I was always getting flak for tapping my foot at the dinner table. I finally put up a stink about piano lessons and said I wanted to play drums.

I had to take drum lessons. I played on a practice pad for a long time. I joined the junior high band. I did pretty well, and at some point my folks bought me a set of Slingerlands. I was 12 or 13. It was heaven, except for my dad screaming down the basement stairs, "You've got the wrong beat!"

But I was sitting at my drumset when he yelled it.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

drumn00b is on a distinguished road

Re: How did you choose drums as your instrument? How did you get behind a drumset?

It just came to me one day. I got into a great art school for trumpet, I played piano, was in a choir, and a few of my friend that were going played bass and guitar respectively, and well. I decided why not try drums. A few day later, I suddenly didn't just think that doing drums would fit with them; I REALLY wanted to do drums. I should have waited a little longer now that I've bout them, because they're old and used(Sort of like Tainojim ) but then I couldn't wait any longer. 6 months was enough. Anyway, I love them!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

Re: How did you choose drums as your instrument? How did you get behind a drumset?

I was never really interested in music until when I was about ten smells like teen spirit hit me like a lightening bolt. Three years later I began uncontrolably tapping on tables and all manner of surfaces. Sold my sega megadrive2 and bought a four peice powerbeat set with a pedal that fell apart within the week and hi hats that turned inside out if you put too much pressure on them.

It's a love hate relationship going on 15 years now.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Level 5 - Triple Stroke Roll

Louie J. is on a distinguished road

I got into drumming because chicks dig scars and drummers. Already had the scar so drums were the next logical step. I'm with skinslapper on this one though. Dave Grohl's powerful playing in Nirvana really made me want to play drums. I loved the way he had his cymbal stands set super high. It looked awesome...bad technique...but awesome.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 AM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

Guys put it back in your pants and get on with your storeys, Jim!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Only because you asked so nicely dear.

It's going to sound redundant but here it goes.

4 years old at a church, saw drumming going on. But even though my dad played the xylophone and a Honor harmonica, I learned a little.

I was always stomping around in a rhythmic way. I had to get a kit, was too broke to afford to pay attention. I didn't care much for that church beat from the 50's. At 8 I met my best friend (May he R.I.P.) and his brother just back from the war was a guitarist and his drummer left his kit in the basement. Once I got behind the kit and my friend on guitar, that's when I knew I was meant to rock "n" roll.

Been doing it since.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 PM

BUDDY RICH

Buddy's folks ran a vaudeville act. Buddy's dad noticed when Buddy was 12 months old that he could keep a steady beat and play some rhythms with spoons. By the time he was 18 months old he was performing live onstage playing drums in his parents' act.

Gene Krupa said that the drummers in the pits for the vaudeville acts were always great drummers. He believes that Buddy started absorbing everything he heard or saw those pit drummers do at that very early age.

Here's an early photo of The Great One. Double-click on it.
Pictures by dtxtremeiiispecial - Photobucket
After you click, scroll down and doubleclick on the small picture.

Last edited by dtxtremeiiispecial; 03-15-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Dazzleroxx is on a distinguished road

i started to play drums so i could one skip lessons at school and two to be in a band

Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM

How could you skip school to take drum lessons? How much school did you get out of?

(This is a teacher you're talkin' to.)

So how did you get behind that first drumset?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

Gus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxtremeiiispecial View Post
BUDDY RICH

Buddy's folks ran a vaudeville act. Buddy's dad noticed when Buddy was 12 months old that he could keep a steady beat and play some rhythms with spoons. By the time he was 18 months old he was performing live onstage playing drums in his parents' act.

Gene Krupa said that the drummers in the pits for the vaudeville acts were always great drummers. He believes that Buddy started absorbing everything he heard or saw those pit drummers do at that very early age.

Here's an early photo of The Great One. Hmmm.
Pictures by dtxtremeiiispecial - Photobucket
After you click, scroll down and doubleclick on the small picture.
By the picture of dtxtremeiiispecial... I think TainoJim must be a lot younger!

Who says I play drums? In elementary My teacher said I knew melody. fourth grade came, I took bells practice pad lessons. Middle school I took up trombone, and in 6th or 7th I began to play with percussion. Sooner later I picked up a groove percussion kit, SnSL's description fit mine well. and I haven't played drums sense then.

For The doubters of piano: