Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 03-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Tenatious P is on a distinguished road

Re: Yet another new member...... :)

DTX - the Pork Pie brass snare is very nice indeed - in fact, a lot of friends over on another forum bought one to flip out on ebay, and ended up keeping it. It's got a lovely sound even with the stock heads, but I've put some Evans heads on now (batter is a Genera Dry, which I also have on my old Premier snare) and it sounds real nice. It has a really full range of tone and volume, and from what our sound guy says will be real nice when we go off recording at the end of next month. The rest of the kit is standard Mapex 9-ply Boxwood, with the outer ply being the veneer finish (Maple, I think).

Buddy - your first kit is most likely way better than my first kit - at times thinking back, I could have upgraded simply by switching to the boxes the kit came in.... What you playing anyway?

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Took a look at the Big Black snare on Pork Pie -- very nice, indeed. I wonder, can you describe the sound of your brass snare as compared to other metals, or am I getting silly here? By "full range of tone" do you mean that it has a wide tuning range?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 PM

It's as much to do with versatility as tone.

What I've found is that you can adjust the tone of the drum, play it deep and loose or really tighten it up and raise the pitch nice and high, and work with the muffling and dampening to get it sounding real nice at both ends of the range. Also, as I found over the past couple of weeks, it carries itself over a range of volumes pretty well. When used for rehearsing, when volume was needed to get over those muppets with full amplification (aka 'guitarists') it sounded great. Then at our last gig at the weekend, the venue was real small, and I found dropping down from 2B sticks to a pair of 7A jazz sticks or even hot-rods didn't mean the sound was any less. The sensitivity was there all the way - no doubt due in part to it being properly tuned, but some of it has to be down to the drum and the manufacturing processes.

As for comparing it with other snares of different metals, the only other metal snare I have is the Premier, which has always sounded great to me. So I don't really have much reference material to go on for comparisons.

I'll try and get a simple answer from some friends of mine who do the 'snare-geek' thing better than me, and post it here later on.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the info, Tenatious P. Sounds like a marvelous snare -- lots of diversity, as you said. I have extremely limited experience with Pork Pie, so it's good to hear your opinion.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Buddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenatious P View Post
Buddy - your first kit is most likely way better than my first kit - at times thinking back, I could have upgraded simply by switching to the boxes the kit came in.... What you playing anyway?
HAHA!!! u wanna know what im playing!?! its a pieca junk!! Heres a link.....its that bad. Im working on upgrading hopefully by the end of the summer wee anyway here it is. enjoy New Drum Set Free Shipping Complete 20 Lug Full Size with Cymbals & Stool by Gammon
The floor tom is actually worth something by the way I play the schools set as much as possible.....So i feel less poor

Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
HAHA!!! u wanna know what im playing!?! its a pieca junk!! Heres a link.....its that bad. Im working on upgrading hopefully by the end of the summer wee anyway here it is. enjoy New Drum Set Free Shipping Complete 20 Lug Full Size with Cymbals & Stool by Gammon
The floor tom is actually worth something by the way I play the schools set as much as possible.....So i feel less poor
Wow - 20 lugs........

To be fair, I can't vouch for the sound it makes (wtf is Nato mahogany anyway? Does it only come from America-friendly forests?) but there are a few things there which are probably OK. The hardware looks fine - double-braced stands, chain-driven kick pedal, and the tom holders are copies of Pearl ones they used on the Forum (same as the ones I used to have) and they are fine for adjusting and locking the toms in place.

With an upgrade to the heads, some tuning time, a cymbal upgrade and getting a second opinion on the snare (I doubt that it IS all chrome - they didn't mention the steel, I see....) It'll probably do you for a while yet.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 AM

TENATIOUS,
Just learned that Steve Gadd uses a chrome over brass Ludwig Supraphonic snare. Chrome over brass. That can't be just for looks, because they can't see the brass. Does the brass make it sound different? Wish I knew.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 AM

hey DTX.

Found this on another forum - and cross posted for reference, although the guy on the other site did say this was in his experience, wihci seems extensive....

Shells of the same thickness and size with the same hoops, heads, and wires:

Least to most ring/sustain: aluminum, copper, bronze, brass, steel
"Warmest" to sharpest: aluminum, bronze, brass, copper, steel
Lowest to highest fundamental: brass, bronze, copper, aluminum, steel
Loudest crack: steel (can be a ping if tuned to be so), brass, bronze, aluminum (more of a pop), copper (sort of a slap)

He's quoted using the same hoops, heads, wires etc to take amy variance in the build as far out of the equation as possible.

Hope this helps - it does seem that different metals do produce different sounds, same as wood does. And having both a brass and an aluminum snare lets me cover all bases (and where it HAS to be a wooden snare, I have my not-so-hot Mapex one......)

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Buddy is on a distinguished road

Tenatiouse. The drums are'nt that great. I put alot of time and $$s into making it better. I changed out the bass drum because its just horrible!! I changed the heads on it and nothin so I went and bought a TAMA swingstar bass.(very nice) I got a new Pearl snare that works well. I found a yamaha picoloe snare in my basement for a 2nd snare. The chain pedal is WORTHLESS!!!! I bought a DW700. I replaced all the tom heads with Remo ebony pinstrpe. The floor tom is actually very nice but the rack toms are ok I put a Remo ambassodor head on the snare. The hardware CRAP!! the throne snapped in half when I leand 2 the side.(I only weigh 140) The cymbal stand falls alot, And the highat stand is VERY short. But I likie the color

Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 AM

So by a process of elimination......

Good sticks?