Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ELDER08 is on a distinguished road

Young drummer (quite good for age yet low oppurtunity)

Hey im Zech I play in a Prog Rock band. Chad smith is my fav. drummer and my kit is sucky

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: Young drummer (quite good for age yet low oppurtunity)

I've not heard of the Sucky drum kit. I didn't know that they made drum kits.

Any way welcome to the forum Young Drummer.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Hey Elder08!

I'm new here too, but in the last couple of days the folks on this site have made me feel like one of the gang and quite at home. Sucky drums eh? Well, let me tell you when I first started playing around 1968, pretty much all the drums in my price range were sucky. The trick is to make them work for you. You can take what you think is a sucky set, and with a bit of financial planning and work you can turn a sucky set into a real decent one. New heads will make a decent set sound great with a good tune, and they really aren't all that pricey. A good cleaning, lube and replacement of straps, chains, etc. on your pedals will go a long way. Try taking your kit apart bit by bit. Tighten all things loose, and replace any missing parts. When you have the rims off your drums top and bottom, clean the surfaces with a mild cleaner then use a mild wax on the finish and shine up those shells until they dazzle! Clean and shine up the chrome surfaces & lugs, etc.
Part of my duties with the group I play with (the Foundation for Aspiring Musicians-we collect, refurbish and donate musical instruments including drum sets to worthy souls) is to make 'sucky' drum kits into the musical intruments they were intended to be. It's really alot of fun, and in the end you can have something you saved from the junk heap that you can be proud of. Give it a shot! I'm sure everyone on this site wil be happy to lend you a hand and most likely give you more advice than you can stand.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

deanc54 that's exactly what I do for the kids in my neighborhood. Some really good old tips there, old man.

Experimenting with a kit is a great way to make them sound better.

I agree with you on all of the above. Even pulling off the bass drum head and putting a blanket or pillow just to see what it would sound like. I did lots of things like that when I was _)^^% years old.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM

Hey Tainojim!

You are to be commended by all the powers that be for your work with the kids in your neighborhood! What a guy! You must be the most popular soul on your block.
Recently, a family came to one of our Artists in Progress events to see what the Foundation was all about. I could see that the father and son were aspiring drummers as they were eyeing my kit pretty intently and whispering amongst themselves. During a break, they came over and asked me the usual questions..how long have you been playing, how did you get started, how much does a decent drum set cost, etc. The conversation soon turned into something like, 'well I sure would like to learn how to play the drums, but we don't have a kit and times are so tight right now, we just can't afford it'. They were prime candidates for our program, and it just so happened we had a pretty good little 5-pc jazz kit recently donated. It was in pretty rough shape (I'm not even sure what brand it was, it was a wrapped birch kit in black plastic with the words 'Mark II' on the shells). Well, it was a labor of love for me to refurbish this little kit, and breath new life into something that really deserved some attention. The refurbishment turned out beautifully, and we unanimously voted to donate it to this little family. Few things in my life have filled my heart with more satisfaction than to watch this family's glee when we got the kit set up in their house and executed the first few beats and riffs. I gave them a really rudimentary lesson, and turned them loose. A couple of months have passed now since the donation, and I am elated to say they are practicing everyday and having the time of their lives. Pretty neat to have saved a good set of drums from near obscurity, and to be able to give them to some really desrving folks. You never know what you can do with what others deem to be wothless junk. Keep up the good work Tainojim!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

That's fine work, very fine.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Kind words dtxtremeiiispecial, and very much appreciated!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

deanc54 keep up the great work.

There was this kid that got really bad grades in school. He couldn't concentrate with the school work. So I spoke with his ubcle who was raising him. T told him that he really needed something to focus on. This kid was always tapping and books, tables and even his feet were out of control with the rhythms. He just couldn't sit still for one minute.

I had a spare Ludwig Combo kit that I wasn't using at the time so I gave it to him under the conditions that his grades would improve. This was about 6 years ago.

Within a year he was on the Honor Roll and been getting good grades since.

His uncle told me that he had ADD. I think he got over this in no time. Today he's in high School and is doing great achievements all the way.

Give Drums The Glory

Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Hey Tainojim!

I believe I have a chronic case of ADD..'Anxious Drummers Disease'. I am always anxious to get behind my set and play some more.

Your outstanding activities mirror our Foundation goals, and our mission objectives. I might be so bold as to say we are cut from the same cloth. We believe that if we can give kids of all ages (I still consider myself to be a kid) an alternative to the more nefarious activities they may consider doing on weekends (Friday afternoon/evenings mostly) they can 'Reach their Peak through Music'. Since I have been involved with the Foundation (about three years now) many young souls have taken the opportunity to do what their hearts have been prompting them to do..and that is get involved in the music that is in their soul. We have a regular group of kids and adults that participate, and more coming each week because their friends spead the word that there is a 'cool' thing to do on Friday nights. For some we have provided formal lessons and instruments that their family just could not afford. Many (too many) are from single parent environments. Some are thrilled just to have the chance to bring their instuments to the events and play with folks that give them the encouragement they crave. I tell you, I consider myself to be one of the fortunate ones that had unlimited encouragement, support, and good guidance from my folks and mentors all through my life. Unfortunately these days there are alot of kids who really crave that support, and get none. We hope to use music to accomplish this goal for everyone who wants to participate. There is no cost to anyone, and there is no pressure to advance beyond the pace they set for themselves. The only thing we ask is for them to give it their best effort, and stick with it. I am constantly amazed at how many aspiring musicians there are. Talented ones! It is such a pleasure for me to even have the chance to give a bit back to the cosmos for all the good I have received in my life. Sorry if I seem to be preaching, but it is a wonderful thing indeed. There are many paths to enlightenment, music being a straight and true course open to all.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ELDER08 is on a distinguished road

Thanks you guys I'm not having to much troubles with the set (not kit hehe ) but I am having a bit of trouble with buying a new one for the quality of this set is low even after i clean it for its a First Act.