Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drummer Introductions and Promotions > Drummer Introductions

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Re: Young drummer (quite good for age yet low oppurtunity)

Hey Elder08,

So it's a First Act Set. Which model? How long have you had it? If you could sell it, how much do you think it would be worth? What drum set would you like to have? OK, realistically, what drum set do you think you can get that wouldn't be 'suckey'?

It took me a pretty long time to aquire the set the I have. I had to plan ahead and figure out how much of my budget I could sacrifice to save up for my ideal set-up. I went through my fair share of suckey drums. The first set I had was a loaner from a freind who just could not play. I think he got his mom to order them out of a Montgomery Wards catalog in 1967. I recall that the retail price was around $127. The cymbals would get a big ding from every strike, and the foot pedal looked (and played) like it was cast from lead by undesireables in a backyard sandbox. So, my point is that unless you have access to unlimited funding, sometimes you have to work with what you have, and get a plan to save up for a better set. It's kinda the dues most every drummer I know has had to pay unless you can talk one of the major manufacturers into endorsing you. Not likley, so formulate a plan and work it. Most likely, you'll have the set you want before you know it.

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

Beholdthecoma is on a distinguished road

Hello Elder08, i'm new, i have a sucky kit, but i'm currently working on it! Replacing the skins, learning about tuning, holes etc. My fav style is latin (although you'd probably not think it from my metal look) and i like deep sounding kits. just trying to fit as much as i can in before leave school and try tackling level 3 music in college. Sounds rubbish, but that's because i wasnt allowed to take music at school instead, i have drum lesson every saturday, and study them during the week. I'm currently trying out manual tuning, and trying to find what heads to buy based on user reviews.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 AM

oh, and why does it say level 0 pick up the sticks? Im not a beginner really. I've been playing 4 years and at grade 7! Wha the hell??

Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Der Trommler is on a distinguished road

That is an indication of your post count. Kind of a cool way to encourage people to post and have fun here, it will change to different rudiments as your post count gets higher.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

deanc54, it's like the movie "Pay It Forward". And the Domino effect goes on from there.

Teach them how to play and they will teach others.

Lots of Music activities have been closed in the public schools due to the money crisis. That's where people like us need to keep up the spirit of music. These are the sort of activities that keep the kids out of trouble in the streets.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

deanc54 and TainoJim,
Do you know any organizations in Illinois working on this kind of stuff?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

I would need to do the research. I'll need some time on this.

At the moment I don't know of any organizations. What I do is local for the kids. I'm involved with some other projects at the moment.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Hey dtxtremeiiispecial & Tainojim,

Unfortunately I know of no similar programs in Illinois. However you would think that a state with the population and demographic of Illinois would have. I will try to find out. We have no chapters there, but at our next Board meeting I will bring this topic up to the other Directors. Perhaps we can brainstorm something. It is such a great program, certainly the karmic deities that be will smile upon us and cause the wheels to start turning (in fact I sense them turning right now!). If you are interested in seeing what we are doing, I invite you to visit our website at Foundation For Aspiring Musicians. Please be aware that guiding/inviting you to visit our site is not a solicitation of any kind, and I am sure not trying to advertise anything. We are a charitable, non-profit organization just trying to help spread the beauty and wonder of playing music to all. We live by our Mission Statement. You can see our band in action there, and some of the work we have been doing in our state.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Oh, ta. I was a bit confused. Thanks for that. Well, better get posting!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

ELDER08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc54 View Post
Hey Elder08,

So it's a First Act Set. Which model? How long have you had it? If you could sell it, how much do you think it would be worth? What drum set would you like to have? OK, realistically, what drum set do you think you can get that wouldn't be 'suckey'?

It took me a pretty long time to aquire the set the I have. I had to plan ahead and figure out how much of my budget I could sacrifice to save up for my ideal set-up. I went through my fair share of suckey drums. The first set I had was a loaner from a freind who just could not play. I think he got his mom to order them out of a Montgomery Wards catalog in 1967. I recall that the retail price was around $127. The cymbals would get a big ding from every strike, and the foot pedal looked (and played) like it was cast from lead by undesireables in a backyard sandbox. So, my point is that unless you have access to unlimited funding, sometimes you have to work with what you have, and get a plan to save up for a better set. It's kinda the dues most every drummer I know has had to pay unless you can talk one of the major manufacturers into endorsing you. Not likley, so formulate a plan and work it. Most likely, you'll have the set you want before you know it.
I have a slight idea of what i want and my set is probably worth about 200 and if i sold it less i bought very cheap 75$ and the splash cymbal i have is 53$ haha and it came with the set I have yet to get crash or ride cymbals and i have a first act highat heres the set ive been looking at : Pearl Sound Check 5-Piece Drum Set with Zildjian Cymbals and more Acoustic Drum Sets at GuitarCenter.com.