Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Buddy is on a distinguished road

Re: First Garage Band Experiences & Band Name

HAHA thanx guys!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Hey Buddy!

How did your gig go? It was last Thursday night right? Give us some details!

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

My First Band Was in High School, we started off as a three Piece, With me on Guitar and Vocals, My Friend Damian on Bass, and Another buddy Nate on drums. We made it through a few practices, and I didn't know much about music back then, so I just had loads of fun Jamming.

One day, (Like Many Others) Nate couldn't come to Practice. At this point, most of the band members had changed around anyway, so we had another person on guitar. I decided for that practice I would get behind Nate's Drums and try it out. Well, as it turns out, within two practices I was better than him. (He couldn't do much more than a few simple beats).

The following day, We kicked Nate out of the band, And I headed down to the local music Shop and sold half my guitar gear, and Got a 5 Piece Mapex Starter Kit, (You know, the ones with the hi-hats that invert if you hit them too hard, and the crash made out of tin foil) - The Cymbals were terrible, but I still, at that point, didn't know much about drumsets, so I didn't care, I was having a blast playing.

I was kind of a pushy person back then, and I really wanted to play a show, so we had about a month of practice, then played a battle of the bands as a fundraiser for our school. We sucked so bad, that the guitarist quit that night.

Well, once we had lost our guitarist there was really no point in continuing on. The bassist and I played one practice after the show, and we realized it wasn't going anywhere. I took my drums from his house, and they sat in my truck for a month, before I decided that I couldn't be in a band at that time.

I ended up taking a huge loss, trading in the mapex kit, and I got another guitar and a small practice amp, and pretty much took a 4/5yr Break.

----Skip 4 Years----

Last Year, I met up with a new friend named Matt who loved to drum, unfortunatly, He wasn't really good, and also didn't have a spot to play, I ended up trading him a computer for this kinda beat up 4 piece pearl kit, with some Solar (By Sabian :-( ) Hi-Hats, and an Argent Crash. It wasn't a bad kit, and much of it was put together bad, but I took it anyway.

Well, in the years I hadn't been playing, I started playing Rock Band, which surprisingly got me very good at playing alternate beats, etc.
Once I got the kit from Matt, I set it up in the attic of the house I'm living in now, and started Jamming.

Now, it's been almost A year since I started playing again, and I'm better than ever. I've put over $400 into my kit, and have bought all new cymbals, stands, and hardware for it. I replaced the heads, and set it up like a nice, new punk set. (I even painted it)

Well, Recently, I started talking to my Friend Justin (Who is an amazing singer, and ok at guitar) and we started Jamming out in my attic. We did pretty good, a couple rock covers of some pop songs, but weren't really getting far with it.

Then, I started talking to my buddy's cousin, Joe. As it turns out, he's an amazing guitarist, and Decided to come down and join up with our "Band" - Justin took over on bass, and we Have Joe on Guitar, and I couldn't be happier rocking out!

Hope my story wasn't too long and boring!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM

Greetings littlekid!

Your story is outstanding, not too long, and certainly not boring! Many of us no doubt have had the same experiences as yourself. I sure wanted to be a guitarist, but after months of trying to learn how to play a right handed guitar left handed, I switched over to the drums. As my story relates above, the first set of drums I had a chance to play had the worst cymbals and hardware you can imagine. I suppose all of us had to start somewhere, and most of the time it was on a really poor drum kit. So here's a good question for the forum,..'Did you start on a really good, high quality set of drums, and where did you start practicing'?. I have been fortunate enough to hook up with some really dedicated musicians. It's amazing the things you can accomplish musically when you have people that are really dedicated to their craft, and love what they do. Our lead guitarist is 62 years old and has been playing since he was 5. He has no less than 42 guitars he has been collecting since then. It is a real treat to see which ax he brings to practice each week.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc54 View Post
Hey Buddy!

How did your gig go? It was last Thursday night right? Give us some details!
no its not until tommorrow Sound check today after school (already got my drums lookin all pert in the auditorium And performance tomorrow! But I'll let u know how it goes

Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Hey Buddy!

Got your drums lookin' all pert in the auditorium eh!? Cool feeling, I remember it well. Looking forward to getting a play by play from you tommorrow. How does the rest of your group feel about the performance? Try to post some pictures so we can see you in action!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Level 1 - Single Stroke Roll

Sprinkles is on a distinguished road

Im 16 now, and I'm in my second band. My first TECHNICALLY was with my brothers, but we never did anything. Anyway, its me, my friend Matt, and Tyler. Our name is SatizPHAKSHUN, (satisfaction) and we're pop-rock, hard-rock mix. We play in the den in my house, because the garage is too full of crap. I've been playing drums for 6 years now, and singing for 2. Tyler is a beast on guitar, he not only learned Freebird, he made the solo his b*tch! Matt is just learning to play the bass, because me and him started the band and he wants to be in it, not just write songs. He came up with the name, but i write more lyrics. Once we get all the kinks workouted out, I think anyway, we'll be getting a couple gigs. Wish us luck!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 PM

Greetings Sprinkles!

Welcome to the forum! I am always fascinated with when how people get started in thier musical careers, and the details of their playing experiences. What happened to the band with your brothers, and how is it that you never did anything with them? Can you tell us about your drum set and how you aquired it? Is it a good experience playing in the Den? Most parents like to put the band anywhere but in the house (unless they play themselves). You must have some pretty cool parents to let you play in the Den. Do they like the music that you play? Tell about your choices in music composition, and how you decide on the lyrics. Do you compose your songs from your experiences in life, love, or what?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 PM

Sorry Dean the show got moved back a week. But we still did sound check today and it.....ROCKED!! we had our principals jumpin around!!! AWESOME!! so I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S. they are video taping it

Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Hey Buddy!

Dang it! I was looking forward to getting some photo's tommorrow. But I am very happy to hear that your sound check ROCKED! Keep in mind, most Principals' these days came from a rockin generation. My generation cut it's teeth on the likes of Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult. What are the chances of letting us see the video when it comes out?