Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

Re: First Garage Band Experiences & Band Name

Yea, You should really youtube it up!

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Level 11 - Ten Stroke Roll

Buddy is on a distinguished road

well the one principal DEFINATLY grew up on them! but the other...ehh not so much. But still....It felt sweet uhmmm ya I'll try my best to get the video. Then I'll get it to you asap

Yo Little Kid! you got a story to tell? I'de like to hear it!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

littlekid is on a distinguished road

Go back a few posts, I got one. Haha.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

pantera is on a distinguished road

Mine is more of a full circle story.

I had a kid in grade 8 peruse me in grade 6 to be in his new band. He played keyboards, I played accordian, his little brother (a total animal) played some plastic drum kit (of which he destroyed 3 of them).

We would rehearse in his basement. I called the band StarLite. His uncle had some connections and got us on a cable station's talent show. We expected to do weddings and other family events, but only did one where the family stuck us in the hallway of their house and people would walk by with their food... Call it bad management.

Anyway, the keyboardist (terrible voice on him too) grabbed 2 guys from a then defunct local band; a guitarist (looked exactly like John Travolta) and a drummer. Whenever the drummer wasn't around I'd sit on his massive kit. I ended up breaking 6 pairs of sticks! But loved the sound and playing drums.

Eventually they said 'your instrument is redundant (no kidding), we need a bass player'. So we tried to get me a bass, but that didn't happen (no money and I couldn't read music) and I was told 'you're out of the band' as I kept missing practice.

By grade 9 I took up drums and had the highest mark ever in the class (even played xylophone, and learned to read music). But my dad would not buy me drums (or guitar, which I also liked). After that I completely dropped out of music.

Fast forward a few decades: we're visiting a friend of my wife's and the guy she's with had a band, and he has a full stage in the basement with drums, amps, etc.

My (then 8 year old) son sits on the drums and hammers out a rock beat, having never seen a drum set before. The guy straps on his guitar and plays some cool rock riffs and they go at it. We decide to put him in drum lessons, buy him a nice Pearl kit, and he turns out to have some natural talent... Since then he's played out some Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Rush tunes, and doing a pretty good job of it.

I end up learning drums with him, and then buy a bass guitar and rig, and now we jam at night on either songs he's learning, or just making stuff up. And since he's already better than me on drums (especially his bass drum foot), I get him to show me his 'tricks'.

Moral of the story: you're never too old to try again, and if you have a kid he (or she) may just remind you that your turn may have passed, but you can always give it back to them, and better.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Hey Pantera!

Nice to meet you! That is a really great story, most of all because you have such a good musical relationship with your son. I couldn't agree with you more about never being to old to try again (check my story above). Sounds like you have the opportunity to have another turn, don't pass it up! You could be this generations version of the Partridge Family. Keep rockin! It will most likley cement together your relationship with your family, and your kids will thank you for the rest of your life for being soooo coool!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Level 3 - Single Stroke Seven

pantera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc54 View Post
Hey Pantera!

Nice to meet you! That is a really great story, most of all because you have such a good musical relationship with your son. I couldn't agree with you more about never being to old to try again (check my story above). Sounds like you have the opportunity to have another turn, don't pass it up! You could be this generations version of the Partridge Family. Keep rockin! It will most likley cement together your relationship with your family, and your kids will thank you for the rest of your life for being soooo coool!
Thanks. We're both having fun. I miss playing the drums, but with my busy schedule it's very difficult to get any usable time on them. I've had to turn down 2 band invites to play bass as I'm just too busy to do them justice.

Weeks ago I had a bass guitar jam fest I put together and met a very cool dude that plays killer bass and guitar. He can play Rush very well on guitar and, after going through 2 other guitar players that couldn't match up to my Rush bass playing, I think this one will actually work out.

And we're going to have my son sit in on drums for a few of the songs this weekend. Should be a blast. I'm hoping eventually he'll find some kids his own age and start his own band.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Level 10 - Nine Stroke Roll

deanc54 is on a distinguished road

Hey Pantera,

With a dad like you he can't go wrong. Rush is one of my favs. Our bass player plays a signature Geddy Lee, and does some pretty killer renditions of their songs. She covers quite a few a their best. Post some pics of your event for us!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Alright like I said I'd tell you how the show goes. well it's tommorrw! feelin stocked!! get my drums sounding better then they did last week! which is pretty freakin good!! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrw!!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 PM

dtxtremeiiispecial is on a distinguished road

Try to limit loss of life, Buddy!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtxtremeiiispecial View Post
Try to limit loss of life, Buddy!
I shall try my best!