Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

piyush123 is on a distinguished road

fundamental problem with double bass technique.

Hello all,

Im having a lot of problems playing single stroke rolls with my feet. Ive been practicing this with a metronome for a good half a year now, & I'm still struggling to get 16th notes at 104bpm comfortably.

The problem seems to be two-fold. If I play for more than a bar or two, I start to lose my balance on the throne & my upper body starts to tilt forward, where I usually try to keep upright & have good playing posture, & the other part of the problem is that my calves & ankles start to tense up to the point that I struggle to play if I try to play faster than about 16ths at 100 bpm.

Ive watched countless videos about this, & spoken to other drummers, & everyone seems to say 'play from your ankles'. I use a lot of ankle naturally when I play single bass beats, & I dont seem to have a problem, but when I attempt to use both feet I get the above problems. I have had a little success with sort of bouncing the pedal with the ball of my foot using my ankle (like dribbling a basketball), but Im not really in control of what Im doing & I get so little power out of it that its hard to hear the bass drum under the cymbals.

Initially I thought that the problem was that my left foot was significantly weaker than my right, so Ive practiced single bass beats using solely my left to the point where I can comfortably do what I do with my right with it, but it hasnt made any difference to my inability to combine the two feet.

Im playing barefooted or in socks, my pedal is set almost as loose as it will go, & my bass drum head is fairly tight, & Ive been playing heels up.

I know Ive rambled on a lot, but I wanted to go into detail so hopefully someone can help diagnose the problem. Im nearly at the end of my tether with this, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

hardcore ****ing
Sex Toys

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 AM

Tainojim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Tainojim

Re: fundamental problem with double bass technique.

Have you tried the heal-toe method yet?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

rasenoch is on a distinguished road

Re: fundamental problem with double bass technique.

Work the 16 th by it self..to further develop your legs..watch lars talk about how he learned..he used a at home exercise bike and he cut the shaft down..to help create a faster motion..you got to build leg muscle and core muscle to ba able to hold..not easy to do..so working your legs and stomach..can help build this up..and should work the arms out too..you can practice 16 th with your feet and hands togather..also practice left foot right hand and right foot left hand..hope this helps...