Premium Membership
Get in Touch
Advertise
Link to us
Contact us
Sponsors
Find Drums

Links

Go Back   Drum Forum at Drum Set Connect > Drum Forums - All About Drums > Play the Drums - Drum Talk

Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

dragpyre is on a distinguished road

Double Bass Drumming - Worth Looking

Double Bass Drumming

It’s something that the majority of modern drummers want to learn, how to play super fast, >200bpm patterns, beats and fills. There are many techniques, tips, hints, perhaps even cheats on the internet. I intend to tell you the things that have worked for me. No hiding behind text or anything like that. You can even check out my YouTube just by typing my user name in to check out my heel-toe video. Effective, honest applications and tips are all that follows. Before I go on, I must say that double bass can be overdone. There is a point where its played in a piece of music, it does not suit the style, and it takes away what the music already had without the double bass – character and feel. With double bass drumming, it is important to know how often it should be used, when, and what feel it would create. Death Metal begs for more, while Jazz prefers it few and far between. Double bass drumming completely changes music; it creates a new feel, and spices up old beats and patterns. Finally, double bass opens up the door for more complex and deviated drumming.

Foot independence is key in double bass drumming. If all you can play is RLRLRLRL constantly, what you play becomes repetitive and the listener loses interest. Playing triplets, sextuplets and other more complex patterns enables you to expand double bass even further. First, we have to separate the feet. There are several ways to do this. If you already have a double bass solution (two bass drums, double pedal), then you must practice with your left foot more than your right. This enables your left foot to become stronger, and equal with your right foot. A way to check this is to listen to the sound of your stroke on the bass drum. Are they even? If they are, then your feet are pretty much equal. Whilst doing this, you should also pay attention to how much force you have to apply in order to create a stroke. The pedal should spring back nicely, but you shouldn’t have to fight it. Adjust spring tension and beater distance until you find a comfortable setting. If you are applying even force between feet and it produces a similar sound, then you have even strength between your feet.
For those who do not have a double bass pedal yet, you can use your hi hat pedal as a practise, but make sure that the force used between you feet is even (e.g. to close hi-hats you must use same force to strike bass drum). NEVER SACRIFICE CONTROL AND DYNAMICS FOR SPEED!

Practice these between your feet, at varying tempos and dynamics, and you should be well on your way to gaining independence and control, using a metronome.

RLRL RLRL
RRLL RRLL
RLR~ RLR~ ~ - Rest
LRL~ LRL~ R – Right Foot
RRL~ RRL~ L – Left Foot
LLR~ LLR~
RLRR LRLL
LRLL RLRR
RRLR LLRL
LLRL RRLR
RLR LRL RLR LRL
LRL RLR LRL RLR

Try using these patterns in beats and fills, for example – RLRLSnareRLRLSnare with the hi-hats doing an eighth note pattern.
Foot Techniques
The famous heel toe technique. The heel toe technique came from tap dancing, to create two strokes from one movement. When using the heel toe technique, instead of single strokes (RLRL), you’re creating double strokes (RRLL), with the heel on the backplate, and your toes providing the bounce. If you want more on this technique, check out my video on it. It also provides some applications for the technique. It can be vital in getting to incredibly fast speeds, and also makes triplets easier (such as in the second verse of Killswitch Engage’s Starting Over.) So it would be HTL or HTR (HT – heel toe), enabling to play fast triplets. A must learn for any drummer wishing to play speedily. The slide technique is another technique which creates two strokes. With your heel up, you create a stroke, and then you slide your foot up the pedal quickly whilst it’s bouncing back, and put your foot down again to provide a second stroke. It is harder to do fast double strokes using the slide with both feet, but it is still worth learning.

Remember to practice bother these techniques equally between your feet, to gain control, and start slowly and work up, to gain the speed that you want.

Posture/Relaxation
Sit in a comfortable position, so that you can easily access both pedals, the hi-hat and the rest of your drums. Always sit straight, never lean back into your throne. Tension is bad, so do not play with it. You need to be relaxed, and to play smoothly and with control. Control only comes with your muscles relaxed. Obviously when you start playing 250bpm plus, there will be a small amount of tension, but this should not be done too often. Creating bad habits means you’re stuck with bad habits. Playing with good habits will benefit your playing and your learning overall. Warm up before a playing session. Do stretches, play single strokes between your feet. Breathe properly as well.

Moving on from this
I urge you to check out as many resources as you possibly can. Play rudiments with your feet, grabs books (I recommend the Encyclopaedia of Double Bass Drumming) and DVDs, and there’s many videos on YouTube which can help you out. I wish you great success in double bass drumming.

dragpyre

Post your hints below

Last edited by dragpyre; 07-31-2010 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Added more Exercises

Old Sponsors
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 12:52 AM
Level 2 - Single Stroke Four

Canderous is on a distinguished road

Re: Double Bass Drumming - Worth Looking

this is very refreshing brother, very well put, the encyclopedia of double bass drumming is one of my favorites, another one i worked out of ( and still do, it has unlimited applications!) is Ted Reeds Syncopation, the first book i was given by my instructor, and the most used in my literature by far. your warm ups are exactly the ones ive used and have had great success with. one fun diddy i use for warm ups and practice is working in 5/4 and expands my cranium a bit by starting my routine with a different time signature.

RLR L R L RLR L R L

LRL R L R LRL R L R

and then onward to a little more difficulty

RLR LRL R LRL RLR L RLR LRL R LRL RLR L

anyway just some fun little excersizes i thought i throw out there!

-mikey

Old 07-31-2010, 01:51 AM
Level 18 - Triple Paradiddle

xxvenom13xx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xxvenom13xx Send a message via Skype™ to xxvenom13xx

That sounds great(:

And I agree, starting with a different time signature than normal is a good warm-up!

However, when I (used to be able to) practice double bass, I would do open-closed-open paradiddles, then go to flams, and then practice a timing exercise...which is in a marching practice book for snare written by Bill Bachman.

Different strokes for different folks, though, right? (:

Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 AM

Canderous is on a distinguished road

always! thats why drumming is so great you learn stuff everyday from folks who use different strokes haha

Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Level 0 - Pick up the sticks!

ato is on a distinguished road

lol is nice the lessons

Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM

HXCBencore is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HXCBencore Send a message via Skype™ to HXCBencore

I am in full agreeance with venoms point here,
Basically cos she's hot
No, honestly.
Protest The Hero and stuff like that is a great way to warm up for getting your feet going, also stuff like Meshuggah, especially Bleed (If you can play it that is, which I for sure can't XP).
Odd time signatures, throwing groupings of five in where normally there's a three, playing sevens like LRRLRRL is also cool, working on polyrythms is hard to get your head around, but once you got, it's some really cool stuff (:

Thanks for all the cool tips man

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Level 6 - Double Stroke Open Roll

dragpyre is on a distinguished road

Stuff like Meshuggah is great for warming up. Playing with polyrhythms and alternating timings between bars is great too.

1eaa 2eaa 3eaa 4eaa
RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL

then follow it with 16th note triplets

1ea2ea3ea4ea
RLR LRL RLR LRL

then go back to straight 16ths.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Geordie_John is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, been really concentrating on my double bass playing lately, but find that when Im playing straight 16th notes I tend to find myself leaning backwards.

Is this due to poor positioning (my thighs are parallel to the floor, shins at 90 degrees to the floor) or poor playing posture, or maybe something else?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM

skinslapper is on a distinguished road

There's no golden posture. Some people play better lower in the seat, some higher. I recomend lifting your stool a tiny bit more so your thighs are are angled slightly downwards. Just keep at it and you'll find what works.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 AM

Geordie_John is on a distinguished road

Cheers mate, appreciate the advice. I tend to get a bit sore at the top of my thighs after a while of playing, so maybe raising the stool may help that too.